Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 101  Street: Miami (Terrace Place until 1950) Name: Voige/Hazard House
Family: Ferguson Owner Info: N
Built: 1890  Sec: 23 Sub: Pattison & Iuen Lot: Irreg 45
Architect:  Cont/Build: 
#Owners: 5 Original Use: Residential Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: N Replace: N
Current Owner: William M. & Janet L. Ferguson Date Fr: 2003 Date To: 
Original Owner: William Henry & Emma Voige  Date Fr: 1886 Date To: 1893
Owner 1: Mary Hazard (& Dr. J. H. Hazard) Date Fr 1: 1893 Date To 1: 1914
(Dr. Savage - renter?)    
(Other renters?)    
Owner 2Theodore & Pauline Thauwald Date Fr 21914 Date To 21945
Owner 3:  St. Thomas Episcopal Church - Rector, Wardens, Vestry (for renters and assistants) Date Fr 31945 Date To 32003
Owner 4 Date Fr 4 Date To 4
Owner 5 Date Fr 5:  Date To 5
Owner 6 Date Fr 6 Date To 6
Owner 7 Date Fr 7:  Date To 7
Owner 8 Date Fr 8 Date To 8
 Owner in 1925 Theodore Thauwald or Thanwald (1919)  This is the family Robert L. Achor lists in this house (see 313 Miami)    
1975 Owner:  Atkins Realty Co. Ir 45 PI
Description: 3 story Victorian. "An example of late 19th century shingle architecture.  Asymmetrical fenestration enhanced by its mixed wall treatments and numerous bays.  Wall treatment on the first floor is shiplap, the second is butt shingle, and the third floor exhibits surated shingles.  The front facade exhibits a slightly projecting pavilion with a gable end flanking a slightly cantilevered roof and entrance.  The north elevation is characterized by a long, sweeping roofline that is so typical of the Shingle Style.  Two gabled roof dormers accentuated by brilliantly pointed sunbursts mark the south facade.  These sunbursts  are particularly visible when juxtaposed to the serrated shingles.  Supporting the front pavilion are four decorative brackets."  (Ohio Historic Inventory - 4 1980)  

The front gable is "accentuated by brilliantly pointed sunbursts".   Could this be called Eastlake Victorian?  (see Ellis Rawnsley's Village Views article.  8/1983)

  "Among the finest representations of Shingle style architecture in Terrace Park.  Located on Lot #45 of Pattison and Iuen's subdivision,  platted on May 24, 1886.  The house was built by Henry Voige circa 1890.  In 1889 Voige deeded the property to his wife and also took a mortgage with the Milford Home Building Company.  He was not listed in the 1889 Hamilton County Directory.  By 1891 he was listed as a Tobacconist in Milford with his residence on Terrace Place.  In 1893 Voige was a clerk residing on Miami Avenue.  In 1893 Voige sold the property to Mary Hazard for $2,680.00." (from the Ohio Historic Inventory - 4/1980)
  In 1980 when the Ohio Historic Inventory was made this building was said to be in excellent interior and exterior condition and was eligible to be on the National Register.
Story 1: According to a report written by Mrs. Breiling in 1919 for the Terrace Park Woman's Club, the Covalt Station Block House and graveyard were originally where this house now stands.  "There were two old cedars on the place and when they were taken out to put down cement walks and also when the cellar was dug skeletons were unearthed.
Story 2: "One of the early occupants was a certain Dr. Savage who had a contract with the railroad company to tend to sick passengers on passing trains. On the first landing of the upstairs stairs is today a window with a pane mounted in the center.  I am told that the pane was once red and a kerosene lamp was lit to inform trains that the doctor was in residence.  The train would stop and blow the whistle and apparently the good doctor would come running. "
  "Another story attached to this house was that in the days when the Robinson Circus wintered in Terrace Park the circus trains were forced to go to about the old Milford station because there was a slight grade to the track west of the station which made getting underway again difficult for the steam engines of the time.  This meant that the animals would have to parade down what is now Terrace Place on their way to their quarters in the vicinity of the old Robinson house."
  "One dark night the string of elephants each holding the tail of the one ahead with its trunk broke apart unbeknownst to the circus staff leaving one rather large critter on his (or her) own.  The elephant at this point decided that what he really wanted was a good scratch.  So he ambled up to 101 house and scratched.  Shingles went everywhere and the good doctor (Dr. J. H. Hazard) and his sleeping bride were all but thrown out of their bed as the frame house responded to this rather vigorous scratch." (all three Story 2, Rev. Bob Gerhard)
     According to records at Spring Grove Cemetery, Dr. J. Henry Hazard was born in 1846 and died in 1908 from heart failure. 
Story  3: 101 Miami was bought by the church (St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Rector, Wardens & Vestry) to house the Rev. John Yungblut.  He was followed by the Rev. Kenneth Clark.  Afterwards it was used for assistant ministers of St. Thomas Church with the residence of the rector being moved to 203 Cambridge to the Meyer house which was left to the church when old Mr. Meyers died. (Rev. Bob Gerhard)  
Story 4: At one time the McKees lived here, probably renters.  Also at 733 Elm & 214 Harvard.  Perhaps other renters were William & Elizabeth Carter who listed this as their residence when they signed the Initiative Petition for Terrace Park Recreation Club in July 1940.  
Story 5: Pattison & Iuen Subdivision, 1886.  John M. Pattison (June 13, 1847 - June 18, 1906).  One time Governor of Ohio.  Had Bright's Desease.  His home was Promont in Milford.  John B. Iuen (died 1904).  Information on these two in Bridge to the Past.  A History of Milford, Ohio.  In the same year these two and others began the Valley Enterprise newspaper.  "Mr. Pattison developed a subdivision in the area bounded by Lewis, Gatch and Wallace Streets in Milford in 1888.  He also owned lots in  the South Milford subdivision in 1892.  
Story 6: Peggy Atlee LaCrone was born 28 July 1936 and died October 1987, aged 51 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 5, Niche 133. 
1939 Map: Kotte.   1911-12 Directory Miami & Terrace Place - Charles, Theo & 
1942 Map: Rev. John R. Yungblut.     1911-12 Directory Miami & Terrace Place: 
1951/3 Map: Rev. John R. Yungblut.         Charles, Theo, & Theo Jr. - draftsman
1959 Directory: The Rev. Kenneth & Amelia Clarke
1960 Directory: ''      (moved to 203 Cambridge)
1962-64 Directories: The Rev. William "Bill" & Joan Baker
1965-66 Direct: "     (later Bill married Fritzie Dalzel, earlier at 400 Marietta)
1967-68 Direct:  
1969-70 Direct:           
1971-72 Direct: Rev. Fred & Peggy LaCrone (1969 from Michigan)
1973-74 Direct: ----   (Frederic LaCrone died May 19, 1970)
1975-76 Direct:         (George Schuler and other people 1975-6)
1978-80 Directories: George & Amy Hill
1982 Directory: -----
1984 Directory: Rev. Burt & Denise Froehlich
1986-91 Directories: Rev. Richard & Julie Kautz
1992-93 Direct: Joe & Susan Austin (moved to 825 Princeton)
1994-95 Direct: ----    (Don Waring moved from here to 900 Princeton)
1996-97 Direct: ----
1998-99 Direct: ----    Wes & Lee Hinton
2000-01 Direct: "      (moved to Milford)
2002-03 Direct: "      (sold 2003)
2004-05 Direct: Ferguson
2006-12 Directories: William & Janet Ferguson