Original: Earlier owners of the land: J. W. Sibley - 1886 to Barbara C. Keene - 1898 to George B. Kaiser - 1899 to Emil M. Rauscher - 1903 to Village of Terrace Park (rented ground floor to Lucius Conkling to run the store) Date Fr: 1903 Date To: 1925
: Anna K. Bosch (Louie & Elsie Bosch) - Grocery Date Fr: 1925 1945
: Durwood & Helen Hughes - Grocery Date Fr: 1945 1957 (Al Huber - Grocery but not an owner)
: Robert Ruhl - Grocery Date Fr: 1957 Date To 2: 1958
: Hugh M. & Elizabeth Gallagher - Grocery Date Fr: 1958 Date To 3: 1966
: John R. Barnett - Grocery Date Fr:1966 Date To 4: 1968
: William R. & Carolyn M. Vinnage - Grocery Date Fr: 1968 Date To 5: 1974
: Louis & Carolyn Farnbach - Grocery Date Fr: 1974 Date To 6: 1978
: Juergen & Gerda Braunheim - Grocery Date Fr: 1978 Date To 7: 1980
: Kennedy Associates, Inc. Date Fr: 1980 Date To 8: 2013
: Date Fr: Date To 9: 1975
From the Village Views article for January 2008 by Carol C. Cole - after further research on 415 & 411 Terrace Place.
James W. Sibley established his first of four subdivisions in 1886, south of Oxford Avenue to the north side of Amherst Avenue. Probably that same year or a bit later he had a house built facing Terrace Place (411 Terrace Place) a couple of lots down from where the Terrace Park Market later stood. That was a Victorian Queen Anne style three-bedroom frame house, bought by Mrs. Harriett Gegner in 1891. The 1893 Hamilton County Directory lists �Gegner, Mrs. Harriet M., books, post master and railroad agent.� The building shows on the 1892 map of Terrace Park, the only building in that block and is marked Post Office on the 1892 map of Sibley�s subdivision. On Sibley�s map there�s also a train station across the tracks of the Little Miami Railroad and a Grocery store marked on the corner of Amherst Avenue and Newtown Road, later renamed Elm Avenue (Beck's Grocery).
Terrace Park was incorporated early in 1893 and obviously needed a place for its Council to meet. At first they had an arrangement with Dr. Langsdale to meet in his Elm Avenue office. (2011 - After more investigation Esther H. M. Power has concluded that Dr. Langsdale's office was at 609 Amherst Avenue, clearly in sight of Elm Avenue, but not actually on Elm Avenue. Dr. Langsdale lived there and had his medical office there. That would explain why we'd never been able to find his office on Elm Avenue.) For some reason by September of 1893 their meeting place was changed to the room over the Post Office, which they rented from Mrs. Gegner. It�s interesting that there were then nine places where public notices had to be posted: Beck�s Grocery (corner of Amherst and Elm?), the Station, Iuen�s Tavern (at the crossroads on Wooster Pike), the house of Village Clerk Voige (101 Miami), the large sycamore in front of Mr. Floto�s house (211 Terrace Place - he was mayor), the School, near the Baptist Church (Community House), Robinson�s Station and the big tree on Marietta Avenue.
A resolution was passed on January 30th, 1903: �On November 19th the Council of this Village adopted a resolution for the issuing of bonds in the sum of Fifteen Hundred and Fifty ($1550.00) Dollars for the purpose of raising money to purchase real estate for a Town Hall and Offices for the Village.� Thus it looks as if the Village wanted their own building and not to have to rent from Mrs. Gegner.
[The TP Historical Society has] the original plans for that building on the corner of Harvard Avenue and Terrace Place, drawn by James L. Chapman Sr. The plans show there was already a building a bit back from the corner with a door opening onto Harvard Avenue. The new building just added on to the front with a much grander entrance opening onto Terrace Place. In fact it was a building very similar to Mrs. Gegner's.
We do not know whether James Sr. had any formal education to become an architect or may have just been apprenticed to an architect and learned that way. However, he designed the Terrace Park School as well as the store and 618 Yale Avenue where they lived for a while. Later they bought 100 acres on Shawnee Run and ran the Chapman Dairy. It may have been in one of the dairy farm�s barns that the plans for the Terrace Park Market were found. Mary Chapman also gave us blueprints � but neither copies include dates.
Lucius Conkling was a relative of James Chapman and had his home built at 615 Amherst Avenue in 1891/2. His family had been in the area since 1803 when Lucius� grandfather, Abraham, moved from Morristown New Jersey to Indian Hill, buying land where the Camargo Club is now. There were 10 children, five of whom remained in the area. Son, Lindley, built the mansion that is now the administration building for Stepping Stones. Lucius� daughter, Sidney, married the architect, James Chapman. Their son James Jr. married Mary Ernst of Milford and it is she who has given us so much information and pictures of the Conkling and Chapman families.
The land where the market was built was owned by James W. Sibley in 1886, the year he established his first subdivision. It was sold to Barbara C. Keene that year, then to George B. Keiser in 1898, then to Helen Barnett�s relative, Emil M. Rauscher, in 1899 and finally to the Village of Terrace Park in 1903 for the purpose of building a �Town Hall�. The ground floor was rented to Lucius Conkling. He and his wife served successively as grocers and postmasters from 1903-1921. The Village used the upstairs as a Town Hall, council chambers and polling place. It also served as a community center where functions including dances were held. One reached the 2nd floor through the old side door on Harvard Avenue. The Village owned the building until 1925 when they no longer needed it for Council Meetings or other activities because they had moved to the present Community House on Elm Avenue.
The Conkling�s daughter, Lillian, was postmaster for about a year in 1920-21 in a small building on what later became the Village Green. Mrs. Gegner sold her home in 1921 to Lulu Tarvin who then became postmaster, followed in 1925 by Lillian Droescher for 25 years, until Effie Miller took over and built the present Post Office in 1953. Harriet Gegner, Lulu Tarvin and Lillian Droescher all were storekeepers at 411 Terrace Place.
The Conkling home facing the Village Green stayed in the family until probably 1950 when it was sold to Bolton Drackett. Store keepers after the Conklings included Louis & Elsie E. Bosch, Hugh M. & Elisabeth B. Gallagher (732 Miami), John Barnett, Durward Hughes (329 Rugby) William R. & Carolyn M. Vinnage, Louis & Carolyn Farnbach (600 Myrtle) and Juergen & Gerda Braunheim. Unfortunately in 1980 no one seemed interested in buying and running a small independent grocery store so it was sold to Paul Kennedy where he and his brothers now run Kennedy Associates. We are very fortunate that Paul grew up in Terrace Park and remembered fondly visiting the market almost daily. Thus rather than tearing down the building that had served the community well for so many years, Paul restored the original peaked roof, destroyed in an earlier fire, and set his addition back on one side so the original dimensions of the market are still clear.