Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  325
Street:  Rugby
Name:  N
Family:  Peterson
Historic Plaque:  2008
Owner Info:  Y
Built:  1895
Sec  23
Sub  Sibley
Lot:  56-57
Architect:  
Cont/Build:  

Description:  1 1/2 story Victorian, siding, gable, flat & shed roofs. One family frame dwelling, one story in height with basement under approximately 1/3 of the house. Room arrangement is somewhat cut up, due to the additions. Living room, dining room, kitchen, bath, 2 bedrooms, den and heated, finished hobby room attached to garage. (1960)
#Owners:  6F
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  N
Replace:  N

Changes Description:  1900 - added utility shed. 1920s - added bedroom. Bath room and screen porch perhaps added then too. 1956 - remodeling. 1963 - screen porch remodeled into a family room (Petersons). 1980s - added greenhouse. (Black Walnut tree in front destroyed in 1970s tornado, replaced with maple.)


Owners:

Current Owner: Roger & Jane Peterson Date Fr: 1960 Date To: 
Original: Charles H. Cross Date Fr: 1895 Date To: 1908
1: Robert S. & Sara A. F. Magee Date Fr 1: 1908 Date To 1: 1911
2: Susan A. Evans (died 1914) - house went to her heirs Date Fr 2: 1911 Date To 2: 
3: Susan G. Evans Walker & Madeline Evans Witcher Date Fr 3:  Date To 3: 1946
4: Daniel  H. Startsman Sr. (see stories for renters) Date Fr 4: 1946 Date To 4: 1947
5: Norman & Debbie Startsman Stedron Date Fr 5: 1947 Date To 5: 1949
6: Mary D. Mayer (married Frank who died before 1960) Date Fr 6: 1949 Date To 6: 1960
7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10:  1975


Stories

Story 1   Rented out some by Evans heirs and Mary Mayer.
Story 2   Emil Timm was renting home in 1946 when Evans heirs sold to Daniel H. Starstman Sr. Son Melvin Timm, friend of David Rawnsley, lived there too, father of Amy Timm who teaches at Terrace Park Elementary School. Her brother Brian Timm was Brian Peterson's room mate at Wittenburg their freshman year.
Story 3   The Startsman family was in and out of this house. The original Startsmans (with 4 children) moved from Winton Place to the corner of Myrtle and Marietta (509 Marietta) and then to here (325 Rugby). A son, Daniel H. Startsman, built 223 Rugby in 1912. A grandson, Daniel Boone Startsman, built 305 Rugby in 1949. A great grandson, Daniel Boone Startsman Jr., lives in his grandparent's home at 223 Rugby.Jane Peterson says that the upstairs bedroom was at one time the bedroom of Daniel H. Startsman who was later the husband of Debbie Startsman (223 Rugby). Also at some time there was a painter's fire in the house.Joan Becker Bissell (of 300 Rugby) confirms there was a fire at 325 Rugby, probably between 1945 and 1949. She and her brother Bruce were in awe of the Terrace Park volunteer firemen, up on the roof with their pickaxes, hacking a hole to allow the flames to escape, so the smoldering attic fire would not cause more damage
Story 4   Garage was originally a barn, probably converted by Mrs. Mayer who did tole painting (decorative painting on tin). She had a small propane gas heater out there where she did her painting. Peterson's added to the building for a dog run.
Story 5   Jane Peterson - president TP Garden Club 1976-79
Story 6   Daniel H. Startsman bought from Madeline Evans Witcher, a widow, formerly Madeline Evans; John Francis Whitcher, unmarried, both of Coral Gables FL (son of Madeline Evans Whitcher); Sue Grandin Walker, formerly Sue Grandin Evans, and Edward J. Walker, her husband both of Miami FL. Madeline & Susan are the only heirs of Susan A. Evans.
Story 7   Roger Peterson died in early May 2002.


Directories:

1939 Map: Ruck

1942 Map: Timm (renter)

1951/3 Map: Frank Mayer

1959 Directory: Betty Lou Bain (daughter of Mary Mayer)

1960 Directory: John & Nancy Kortheuer

1962-2003 Directories: Roger H. & Jane Peterson (moved from 402 Miami)

2004-12 Directories: Jane Peterson

2015 Directory: Peterson, Jane

2017 Directory: ,