Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  306
Street:  Rugby
Name:  A Sibley/Lloyd House
Family:  Hill
Historic Plaque:  2008
Owner Info:  Y
Built:  circa 1887
Sec  23
Sub  Sibley
Lot:  38-39, pt 40
Architect:  Architect: Bob Curry).
Cont/Build:  Built by J. W. Sibley for Lloyd

Description:  2 story Italianate Victorian, siding, truncated hip (?) & gable roof, greatly changed and added to over time. Several historic pictures in file.
#Owners:  3
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  N
Replace:  N

Changes Description:  F Pre 1920 - kitchen addition. 1920 - 2 story addition to south west corner. 1967/8 - car garage and screen porch added to building (A. H. Lloyd, architect,; Elmer Williams, contractor). 1984 - family room and east addition for Harths. 1998 - further extensive addition by and for Harths: added to their family room and bedrooms (Architect: Bob Curry). Sibley (built for son to live in)


Owners:

Current Owner: Date Fr: 2016 Date To: 
Original: James W. Sibley (built for son to live in) Date Fr: 1887 Date To: 1893
1: Frank Hastings Sibley & wife (1st occupant, son of James W.) Date Fr 1: 1893 Date To 1: 1901
2: Samuel W. Lloyd Date Fr 2: 1901 Date To 2: 1920
3: Evelyn S. Lloyd Date Fr 3: 1920 Date To 3: 1936
4: William T. Lloyd Date Fr 4: 1936 Date To 4: 1938
5: Huber A. Lloyd Date Fr 5: 1938 Date To 5: 1975
6: Joseph M. & Elizabeth (Lloyd) Lohse Date Fr 6: 1975 Date To 6: 1982
7:  J. Timothy & Barbara Harth (moved from 414 Elm & back to 414 Elm many years later)) Date Fr 7: 1982 Date To 7: 
8: Nicholas Pierol ? Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 2016
9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10:  1958
: Mary G. Lloyd.  Lots 38-39-40-41 Sibley 1st (40 & 41 sold off in 1959 for 310 Rugby) 1975


Stories

Story 1   Harths found a handwritten note in new plaster saying We wallpapered this room June 3, 1920 with 3 names.
Story 2   When built? Harth - 1869; Mel Aichholz - 1870; Liz Lohse - 1886. Built by Sibley for Lloyds (Liz Lohse) - No, for Frank Hastings Sibley. 5/97 someone thinks 1870 date is too early. House shows on 1892 map of Terrace Park. Research by William D. Hayes in 2002 shows 1870 date for building of house.
Story 3   The present 313 Oxford was originally next door on the east - just 12 feet away from 306 Rugby. Picture of both houses prior to 1920. Dan Startsman Sr. remembers watching moving the house across the alley with mule teams and a steam jenny. Are the rocks from the side porch still on the lot?
Story 4   Will & Evelyn Lloyd died in the mid 1930s and the house was rented until March 1946 when Allen Lloyd (3rd child of Huber Lloyd) and his wife bought it. (info from Allen Lloyd)
Story 5   Agnes Prizer Cassidy was born in 1862 and died 13 July 1931, buried in section 8 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH. C. T. Johnson Funeral Home. It seems likely that this was Agnes M. Cassidy, the Lloyd's servant in 1920, aged 57 years and still their servant in 1930, aged 67 years.
Story 6   Obituary for Allen Huber Lloyd, engineer. Founder of toy company also worked with area schools. By Sharon Morgan in The Cincinnati Enquirer.
Story 7   Railroad Houses


Directories:

South of Oxford to the north side of Amherst in 1886, Myrtle to Miami and Marietta beyond Stanton to the bluff in 1890, Amherst to Marietta and Yale to Miami in 1891 and the south side of Amherst from Elm to Floral in 1892. By then he was 76 years old. Once he had some land he needed to start building houses. It looks as if he then found a Cincinnati architect, bought plans for a house from him for $25 and started building homes using this plan. These are the ones that have become known as railroad houses. Perhaps they should have been called Sibley houses since all of them are in his subdivisions. Why they were called railroad houses remains a mystery since it does not appear that they were built either by the railroad or for railroad employees. Certainly it was well know that there was easy rail transportation from this newly developing area into Cincinnati for work. The first home he built still stands, now greatly enlarged, at 311 Harvard Avenue for his eldest son James Hastings Sibley. He too was first listed in the 1880 and 1890 census as a Commission Merchant like his father but by the 1893 Cincinnati City Directory was listed as a Real Estate agent living in Terrace Park. Before that he and his brother were helping father. In 1887 J. W. Sibley built 306 Rugby Avenue, also now greatly enlarged, for his next son Frank Hastings Sibley. He also built homes for the West (203 Marietta Avenue) and Bellville families (710 and 716 Floral Avenue) as well as for the Lucius and Amanda Conking family at 615 Amherst Avenue in 1892. Stella Galloway Boone wrote a paper for the Terrace Park Garden Club in 1942 in which she lists 17 railroad houses. Exactly how each one looked when it was first built we will probably never know, but there seems to have been some variation as in 615 Amherst Avenue. Most have had significant additions but are still recognizable as houses built by the Sibley family in the 1880s and 90s. It seems sad the James Whitelaw Sibley died just as Terrace Park was becoming incorporated. According to Ellis Rawnsley both he and his son, Frank H. Sibley, were among the founding fathers of Terrace Park. 1939 Map: Andrew (probably a renter)

1942 Map: W. M. Andrew (probably a renter)

1951/3 Map: Allen H. Lloyd

1959-60 Directories: Allen & Mary Lloyd

1962-74 Directories: Allen & Betty Lloyd

1975-76 Direct: ----

1978-80 Directories: Joe & Liz Lloyd Lohse

1982-2012 Directories: J. Timothy & Barbara Harth

2015 Directory: Nicholas Peirol

2017 Directory: Allen & Kelly Hill

2015 Directory: Peirol, Nicholas

2017 Directory: Hill, Allen and Kelly