Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  505
Street:  Miami
Name:  Rooster House
Family:  Troller
Historic Plaque:  2008
Owner Info:  N
Built:  circa 1910
Sec  23
Sub  Sibley
Lot:  Pt 153
Architect:  
Cont/Build:  

Description:  2 story stucco & siding, gable roof.
#Owners:  11F
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  
Replace:  N

Changes Description:  or Rooster House ? 1962 - alteration by Bruce Forster. 1963 - carport by Bruce Forster). 1989 - large unspecified addition by the Linette Bolinger to the north of the original house. 2008 - permit for Dave Troller - Apex Reconstruction - kitchen alterations after fire.


Owners:

Current Owner: David E. & Susan Ferrell Troller Date Fr: 2004 Date To: 
Original: Dr. R. Paul Scudder Date Fr: 1903 Date To: 1913
1: Oscar D. & M. E. Coldeway Date Fr 1: 1913 Date To 1: 1920
2: Aline H. & Joseph Garretson Sr. (Jr. in 1938) Date Fr 2: 1920 Date To 2: 1942
3: Walter H. & Kathryn Daw Date Fr 3: 1942 Date To 3: 1962
4: Bruce M. & Mary T. Forster Date Fr 4: 1962 Date To 4: 1966
5: William "Carter" & Elizabeth "Betty" Henry Jones Date Fr 5: 1966 Date To 5: 1968
6: William & Carla R. Sprague Date Fr 6: 1968 Date To 6: 1973
7: Raymond L. & F. Eileen Burklow Date Fr 7: 1973 Date To 7: 1981
8: Anthony Russell Woodward Date Fr 8: 1981 Date To 8: 1989
9: Linette L. Bolinger Date Fr 9: 1989 Date To 9: 2004
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10:  1975
:  Raymond L. & F. Eileen Burklow. Pt 153 Sib 3 (50x180 & 100x120) Description: 2 story stucco & siding, gable roof.  Story 1: On a descriptive page concerning 505 Miami it states the house was built in 1910.  It may have been built as early as 1905 since R. Paul Scudder bought from Gustav A. Worz in 1903 & 1904.  (See pictures of the Dr. Paul Scudder house in 1911 and 1913.)  He sold it to Oscar J. Coldeway in September 1913, the month after the picture was taken.  Coldeway sold to Joseph Garetson in August 1920.  It was originally a 1 story house.  It's not known when the 2nd story was added.  R. Paul Scudder also owned 408 Marietta from 1919-22.  Story 2: Originally built as a one story house but not by Joe Garretson Sr. who was a Cincinnati Enquirer columnist.  Stones from the Little Miami were used in the front garden wall and in the fireplace.  English gardens once surrounded the house and a  terraced lawn was on the river side. Story 3: ? P. Garretson listed this as his address when he signed the Initiative Petition for Terrace Park Recreation Club in July 1940. Story 4


Stories

Story 1   On a descriptive page concerning 505 Miami it states the house was built in 1910. It may have been built as early as 1905 since R. Paul Scudder bought from Gustav A. Worz in 1903 & 1904. (See pictures of the Dr. Paul Scudder house in 1911 and 1913.) He sold it to Oscar J. Coldeway in September 1913, the month after the picture was taken. Coldeway sold to Joseph Garetson in August 1920. It was originally a 1 story house. It's not known when the 2nd story was added.R. Paul Scudder also owned 408 Marietta from 1919-22.
Story 2   Originally built as a one story house but not by Joe Garretson Sr. who was a Cincinnati Enquirer columnist. Stones from the Little Miami were used in the front garden wall and in the fireplace. English gardens once surrounded the house and a terraced lawn was on the river side.
Story 3   ? P. Garretson listed this as his address when he signed the Initiative Petition for Terrace Park Recreation Club in July 1940. Story 4 Owner Walter H. Daw was Mayor of Terrace Park 1952-55. Rumor has it that people used to come from far and wide to buy eggs at the Rooster House.
Story 4   The Bollinger home was on the 1992 Sunday December 6 An Historic Walk Through Terrace Park TP Garden Club House Tour . Homes were open from 1-5 PM. Proceeds were used for village beautification.
Story 5   According to Bill Hogan in the 1920s or early 30s this house was lived in by Kathleen Jones, sister of Mary Finch, next door at 505 Miami. Was it a one story house at the time?
Story 6   Tony Woodward was a surveyor and worked with Lee Nordloh for several years, surveying both in Terrace Park and elsewhere.
Story 7   There was a fire in the house in 2008 after which the Trollers had to move next door (501 Miami) until repairs were made.


Directories:

1939 Map: Garretson

1942 Map: no name

1951/3 Map: W. H. Daw

1959-63 Directories: W. H. & Kathryn Daw

1963-66 Directories: Bruce & Mary Forster

1967-68 Directory: Carter Buck & Betty Jones

1969-72 Directories: William & Carla Sprague

1973-80 Directories: Ray & Eileen Burklow (moved from Milford)

1982-86 Directories: Anthony Woodward

1988 Directory:

1990-2003 Directories: Linette L. Bollinger

2004-05 Directory: (Troller moved from 615 Amherst) (Sold 2004)

2006-17 Directories: David & Susan Troller