Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  501
Street:   Miami
Name:  Fern House
Family:  SOLD
Historic Plaque:  null
Owner Info:  Y
Built:  N
Sec  23
Sub  Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City
Lot:  pt 153
Architect:  null
Cont/Build:  null

Description:  
#Owners:  9
Original Use:  Summer cottage
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  N
Replace:  Y

Changes Description:   1964 - Harrisons added a family room in the rear. 1970 - Harrisons added a river room where the front door had been. 1976 - Longs replaced the kitchen cabinets. 1978 - Longs removed a wall between two rooms on the west end of the second floor and replaced the fence leaving it natural rather than white as before.


Owners:

Current Owner: Kensington Group LLC Date Fr: 2015 Date To: 
Original: Mary Virginia Fern (from Worz) Date Fr: 1905 Date To: 1921
1: Ernest E. & Mary H. Finch (just Mary 1938) Date Fr 1: 1921 Date To: 1943
2: Clara T. Jordan (& John) Date Fr 2: 1943 Date To 1: 1964
3: King C. & Jane H. Harrison  Date Fr 3: 1964 Date To 2: 1972
4: David L. & Sue R. Huprich  Date Fr 34: 1972 Date To 3: 1974
5: Philip C. & M. Whitney R.  Long  Date Fr 5: 1974 Date To 4: 1983
6: Ann R. Gelke (& Geoffrey)  Date Fr 6: 1983 Date To 5: 1991
7: Suzanne Sudbrack Kite (& Bill) Date Fr 7: 1991 Date To 6: 2007
8: David & Julia Whitaker Date Fr 8: 2007 Date To 7: 2008
9:  Makatan Properties LLC Date Fr 9: 2008 Date To 8: 2015
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 9:  1975


Stories

Story 1   Previous summer cottage was converted to year 'round home in 1906. (???) The house was painted off-black when the Jordans bought it in memory of Mary Finch's husband who died in the house - converted to green (after a number of re-paintings) by the Jordans. One of the Jordan's house painters was a Fred Huberwho reported he had worked in Austria as a house painter with Adolf Hitler (Schikelgruber - his father's mother's name). Jordans bought the house in 1943 as they had a defense contract and B gas permit so they could drive to Terrace Park. The air conditioning was designed for the house by John Jordan. At some time the back stair was converted to a kitchen closet. The original house burned at some time so we don't really know when this one was built. (John Jordan). The Jordan children were Jack, Steve, Tom & Mary Ann.
Story 2   Marianne Jordan Swan was born 2 November 1938 and died 17 August 2003, aged 80 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 2, Niche 45, Cahall Funeral Home.
Story 3   John Jordan was Mayor of Terrace Park 1960-63.
Story 4   Clara Jordan - president T. P. Garden Club 1960-62
Story 5   This home of Mr. & Mrs. (Clara) John Jordan was on the December 18, 1959 TP Garden Club House Tour, Holiday Houses in the Park. This was a Friday, advance tickets were $1 but $1.25 on the day, and the homes were open from 1:30-4 and 7-9 PM. Refreshments were served at this home.


Directories:

1939 Map: Finch

1942 Map: no name

1951/3 Map: John Jordan

1959-60 Directories: John & Clara Jordan

1962-63 Directory: '' & Mrs. Hugo (Marianne) Swan

1963-64 Directory: '' (moved to Indian Hill) & Mrs. Hugo (Marianne) Swan

1965-70 Directories: King C. & Jane Harrison (moved from 500 Miami)

1971-72 Directory: '' (Sold 1972)

1973-74 Directory: David & Sue Huprich (Sold 1974) (moved to 606 Home)

1975-80 Directories: Phillip C. & Whitney Long

1982 Directory: (Sold 1983)

1984-91 Directories: Geoffrey & Ann Gelke

1992-2001 Directories: William & Suzanne Kite

2007-07 Directory: (Sold 2007)

2008-12 Directories: David Whitaker

2015 Directory: ,

2017 Directory: ,