Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  101
Street:   Miami (Terrace Place until 1950)
Name:  Voige/Hazard House
Family:  Ferguson
Historic Plaque:  null
Owner Info:  N
Built:  N
Sec  23
Sub  Pattison & Iuen
Lot:  Irreg 45
Architect:  null
Cont/Build:  null

Description:  
#Owners:  5
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  N
Replace:  N


Owners:

Current Owner: William M. & Janet L. Ferguson Date Fr: 2003 Date To: 
Original: William Henry & Emma Voige  Date Fr: 1886 Date To: 1893
1: Mary Hazard (& Dr. J. H. Hazard) Date Fr 1: 1893 Date To 1: 1914 (Dr. Savage - renter?)     (Other renters?)    
2: Theodore & Pauline Thauwald Date Fr 2: 1914 Date To 2: 1945
3:  St. Thomas Episcopal Church - Rector, Wardens, Vestry (for renters and assistants) Date Fr 3: 1945 Date To 3: 2003
4:  Date Fr 4:  Date To 4: 
5:  Date Fr 5:  Date To 5: 
6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8:   
in 1925 Theodore Thauwald or Thanwald (1919)  This is the family Robert L. Achor lists in this house (see 313 Miami)     1975


Stories

Story 1   According to a report written by Mrs. Breiling in 1919 for the Terrace Park Woman's Club, the Covalt Station Block House and graveyard were originally where this house now stands. There were two old cedars on the place and when they were taken out to put down cement walks and also when the cellar was dug skeletons were unearthed.
Story 2   One of the early occupants was a certain Dr. Savage who had a contract with the railroad company to tend to sick passengers on passing trains. On the first landing of the upstairs stairs is today a window with a pane mounted in the center. I am told that the pane was once red and a kerosene lamp was lit to inform trains that the doctor was in residence. The train would stop and blow the whistle and apparently the good doctor would come running. One dark night the string of elephants each holding the tail of the one ahead with its trunk broke apart unbeknownst to the circus staff leaving one rather large critter on his (or her) own. The elephant at this point decided that what he really wanted was a good scratch. So he ambled up to 101 house and scratched. Shingles went everywhere and the good doctor (Dr. J. H. Hazard) and his sleeping bride were all but thrown out of their bed as the frame house responded to this rather vigorous scratch. (all three Story 2, Rev. Bob Gerhard) According to records at Spring Grove Cemetery, Dr. J. Henry Hazard was born in 1846 and died in 1908 from heart failure.
Story 3   101 Miami was bought by the church (St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Rector, Wardens & Vestry) to house the Rev. John Yungblut. He was followed by the Rev. Kenneth Clark. Afterwards it was used for assistant ministers of St. Thomas Church with the residence of the rector being moved to 203 Cambridge to the Meyer house which was left to the church when old Mr. Meyers died. (Rev. Bob Gerhard)
Story 4   At one time the McKees lived here, probably renters. Also at 733 Elm & 214 Harvard. Perhaps other renters were William & Elizabeth Carter who listed this as their residence when they signed the Initiative Petition for Terrace Park Recreation Club in July 1940.
Story 5   Pattison & Iuen Subdivision, 1886. John M. Pattison (June 13, 1847 - June 18, 1906). One time Governor of Ohio. Had Bright's Desease. His home was Promont in Milford. John B. Iuen (died 1904). Information on these two in Bridge to the Past. A History of Milford, Ohio. In the same year these two and others began the Valley Enterprise newspaper. Mr. Pattison developed a subdivision in the area bounded by Lewis, Gatch and Wallace Streets in Milford in 1888. He also owned lots in the South Milford subdivision in 1892.
Story 6   Peggy Atlee LaCrone was born 28 July 1936 and died October 1987, aged 51 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 5, Niche 133.


Directories:

Among the finest representations of Shingle style architecture in Terrace Park. Located on Lot #45 of Pattison and Iuen

1939 Map: Kotte. 1911-12 Directory Miami & Terrace Place - Charles, Theo &

1942 Map: Rev. John R. Yungblut.1911-12 Directory Miami & Terrace Place:

1951/3 Map: Rev. John R. Yungblut.Charles, Theo, & Theo Jr. - draftsman

1959 Directory: The Rev. Kenneth & Amelia Clarke

1960 Directory:

1962-64 Directories: The Rev. William Bill & Joan Baker

1965-66 Direct: (later Bill married Fritzie Dalzel, earlier at 400 Marietta)

1969-70 Direct:

1971-72 Direct: Rev. Fred & Peggy LaCrone (1969 from Michigan)

1973-74 Direct: ---- (Frederic LaCrone died May 19, 1970)

1975-76 Direct: (George Schuler and other people 1975-6)

1978-80 Directories: George & Amy Hill

1982 Directory: -----

1984 Directory: Rev. Burt & Denise Froehlich

1986-91 Directories: Rev. Richard & Julie Kautz

1992-93 Direct: Joe & Susan Austin (moved to 825 Princeton)

1994-95 Direct: ---- (Don Waring moved from here to 900 Princeton)

1996-97 Direct: ----

1998-99 Direct: ---- Wes & Lee Hinton

2000-01 Direct: (moved to Milford)

2002-03 Direct: (sold 2003)

2004-2017 Direct: William & Janet Ferguson