Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  702(704 added 2008/9 phone book)
Street:   Indian Hill
Name:  School House
Family:  Bat Properties of Terrace Park LLC
Historic Plaque:  null
Owner Info:  Y
Built:  N
Sec  29
Sub  (Indian Hill Avenue)
Lot:  R2-T5-S29 SE
Architect:  null
Cont/Build:  null

Description:  
#Owners:  null
Original Use:  Schoolhouse (later family home) and Tourist Cottages
Current Use:  Commercial

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  N
Replace:  N

Changes Description:   1865 see story 1 below 1967 - 22' x 30' 1 story addition to existing building (Yankee Dollar).


Owners:

Current Owner: Bat Properties of Terrace Park LLC Date Fr: 2015 Date To: 
Original: Solomon Moore to Ann Moore (see Deeds) Date Fr: 1858 Date To: 
1: Joseph J. Kuntz Date Fr 1: 1924/6 Date To 1: 1943
2: Floyd Anderson Date Fr 2: 1943 Date To 2: 1943
3: Joseph J. & Caroline S. Kuntz Date Fr 3: 1943 Date To 3: 1946
4: Lawrence J. & Miriam Kuntz lived there in 1951 Date Fr. 4: 1946 Date To 4: 1955
5: Francis M. & Ethel S. Wolf Date Fr 5: 1955 Date To 5: 1967
6: Howard S. & Vera S. Andrews (Terrace Court Motel) Date Fr 6: 1967 Date To 6: 1979
7: Robert C. & Mary Jane Tritsch (Riverwilds LTD) Date Fr 7: 1979 Date To 7: 2015
8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 7: 
9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10:  1975


Stories

Story 1   Other possible dates for the school seem to include 1832 or 1854. The building was 32 ft. by 43 ft., part of Camden City, plotted in 1850. This school was in use until 1872.
Story 2   For District 9 Schoolhouse. Lease August 7, 1853. Recorded 12 April 12, 1853. From Solomon Moore to Jps. Highlands et al (John McClelland and Amos Hill, Directors of School District No. 9).
Story 3   The Kuntz family made their home in the converted schoolhouse. Joseph J. Kuntz (1876-1962) moved here in 1924-26 (?) with his family from Arlington Heights OH. He was married to Caroline Wachter (1878-1945). They had three sons: Joseph A. Kuntz (1903-1983), J. Lowell Kuntz (1902-1972) [left home in 1928 to be married[ [father of J. Lowell Kuntz who gave us family information], and Stanley J. Kuntz (1905-1972) [left home in 1926 to be married]. Caroline Wachter Kuntz ran Tourist Cottages on the property. Later these became the Yankee Dollar. At least from the time of the 'Tourist Cottages the side of the driveway facing Wooster Pike was lined with pink peonies from Given Road to the walk that ran up to the back door of the house. These are still there in 2000!
Story 4   More information in the T. P. Historical Society file (2001) from correspondence between Joseph A. Kuntz, Ellis Rawnsley & Stanley L. Miller in 1975 & 1976
Story 5   F. W. Bud Buschmeier of 753 Wooster Pike says his father, Frank J. Buschmeier, was born in his father's residence where the Yankee Dollar now is.
Story 6   Miller Scrapbook - Opening of Yankee Dollar in 1967 (moved from 205 Main Street, Milford). Interior and exterior photos. (Built 1966c)
Story 7   1978 - Ferd Critchell (4 Stoney Creek) sold 25' x 183' on Given Road to Howard and Vera Andrews. Probably added to 702 Indian Hill Road property - Yankee Dollar.
Story 8   Some of the area behind what is now the Yankee Dollar was once a borrow pit for the Cincinnati Columbus Railroad, more often called the Swingline (owned at one time by 4 men named Swing). This line went between Cincinnati and Hillsboro. It never reached Columbus. Gravel was taken from this pit for ballast underneath where the rails were laid. Land behind the Yankee Dollar including the gravel pit was given by Stewart Proctor and Ferd Bro Critchell to the Village of Terrace Park.
Story 9   In the 1950s the Motor Court was owned and operated by Francis & Ethel Wolfe. It was $4 a night. Ted Annett (once at 901 Princeton, moved to Indian Hill and then to 3 Stoney Creek) was Weston Instruments rep in Ohio. When his supervisor came out he always stayed at this Motor Court since it was so inexpensive, especially compared to New York prices. Then he had breakfast at Annetts on Indian Hill.


Directories:

1939 Map: Joseph J. Kuntz

1942 Map: Joseph J. Kuntz

1951/3 Map: Lawrence J. Kuntz (grandson of Joseph J. Kuntz))

1959 Directory: Francis M. & Ethel Wolf (see 410 Elm)

1960 Directory: ''

1962-66 Directories: ''

1967-68 Direct: Howard & Vera Andrews (lived in the Schoolhouse)

1969-70 Direct:

1971-78 Directories:

1980 Directory: Doll Cottage, Sewing Room, Yankee Dollar

1982 Directory: Doll Cottage, Yankee Dollar

1984 Directory: Jean Kinmonth (occupied Schoolhouse from 1984), Yankee Dollar

1986 Directory: Kinmonth Interiors, Yankee Dollar

1988 Directory: ''

1990-2003 Directories: ''

2004-05 Direct:

2006-07 Direct: Fiberge

2008-09 Direct: nothing listed at 702 (motel). 704 (school house) - School House Rhythm