Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  822
Street:  Floral
Name:  1st Gunnison House in Terrace Park
Family:  Wood
Historic Plaque:  2008
Owner Info:  Y
Built:  1938/9
Sec  22
Sub  Sibley
Lot:  49-50-51
Architect:  Prefab-Gunnison
Cont/Build:  Walter Gingrich

Description:  Built as Gunnison: 4 room 1 bath Ranch, siding, gable roof. (see early pictures)
#Owners:  8
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  ?
Replace:  N

Changes Description:  1964 - split level added 16' x 24' family room, master bedroom, bath and 2 car garage (Richard Hildbold). 1974-5? - second floor added. At least some remodeling by Norval Julnes for Hildbold. 1997 - permit for Jack Wood to raise the porch floor, add a dining nook off the kitchen and repair a partial deck (Jane Yancey, architect; James Glaser, contractor).


Owners:

Current Owner: Jack Arthur & Katy Thorpe Wood Date Fr: 1994 Date To: 
Original: Franklin III & Virginia Alter Date Fr: 1938 Date To: 1945
1: Clio M. & Arthur Reinberger Date Fr 1: 1945 Date To 1: 1949
2: Hester Lang (& R.) Date Fr 2: 1949 Date To 2: 1955
3: Richard Lee & Norvita D. Hildbold Date Fr 3: 1955 Date To 3: 1971
4: Richard "Rick" H. & Sutphin (& Carolyn) Date Fr 4: 1971 Date To 4: 1975
5: Samuel M. & Barbara N. Scroggins  Date Fr 5: 1975 Date To 5: 1978
6: Alan W. & Elizabeth Smith-Peterson Date Fr 6: 1978 Date To 6: 1994
7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
10: Date Fr 10: Date To 10: 1975


Stories

Story 1   1st Gunnison home in Terrace Park. Village Council came to check it over after foundation was already in - don't know why.
Story 2   Ginny Alter went to Indiana to visit Gunnison factory to find out how Gunnison houses were built (Mildred Gilmore, who lives in a Gunnison house - 807 Lexington).
Story 3   Comey and Shepherd was the agent for Gunnison Homes and Harold Comey sold us the house. Walter Gingrich was the builder. The foundation - full basement - was built in one week. Three weeks later we moved in - total 1 month. Mr. Comey even came over and planted flowers in the window boxes. Information from Ginny Alter, May 1997.
Story 4   The Hildbolds moved to Terrace Park in 1955 because of the Hawkes at 403 Miami. The Hildbolds had earlier been coming out to visit Aunt Louella & Uncle George Hawke. Mrs. Hawke was Dick Hildbold's mother's sister.


Directories:

1939 Map: Alter

1942 Map: Franklin Alter (moved to 810 Myrtle)

1951/3 Map: Richard Lang

1959-70 Directories: Richard & Norvita Hildbold

1971-72 Directory: '' (moved to 212 Cambridge)

1973-74 Directory: Rick & Carolyn Sutphin (1972 from Indian Hill)

1975-76 Directory: Samuel & Barbara Scoggins

1978 Directory: ----

1980-93 Directories: Alan & Sissy Smith-Peterson

1994-95 Directory: ---- (Sold 1994)

1996-2001 Directories: Jack & Katy Wood

2002-03 Directory: Katy Wood

2004-12 Directories: Jack & Katy Wood

2015 Directory: Wood, Jack and Katy

2017 Directory: Wood, Jack and Katy