PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  428
Street:  Elm
Name:  Baptist Church/Community House
Family:  Community House, Terrace Park Village Offices
Historic Plaque:  2008
Owner Info:  N
Built:  1890
Sec  29
Sub  G. W. Corey
Lot:  2
Architect:  
Cont/Build:  George Washington Corey

Description:  2 story Victorian church, poured concrete, gable roof.
#Owners:  4
Original Use:  Baptist Church
Current Use:  Community House and Village Services including Police (see story 6)

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  N
Replace:  N

Changes Description:  1945 - added municipal garage. Addition to Community House for fire trucks built by Strathman. Ord. 112. 9/11/45. 1966 - addition to Fire House at the rear of the Community House. 1972 - added a room and refinished the office. 1976 - added to Fire House. 1987 - Rawnsley Administation Building dedicated.


Owners:

Current Owner: Village Of Terrace Park Date Fr: 1922 Date To: 
Original: George W. Corey Date Fr:  Date To: 1891
1: Cincinnati Baptist Church Union Date Fr 1: 1891 Date To 1: 1922
2: Lewis N. Gatch et al Date Fr 2: 1922 Date To 2: 1922
3:  Date Fr 3:  Date To 3: 
4:  Date Fr 4:  Date To 4:  1975


Stories

Story 1   Copy of Corey's original drawing for the church showing the Baptismal pool in Terrace Park archives (subject file). There's also a copy on the wall of the Community House.
Story 2   1911-12 Directory: Terrace Park Baptist Church. Also listed in 1897 but not 1891,
Story 3   Public Kindergarten was held here in the mid-1940s. Ms. Kahle teacher.
Story 4   The Baptist Church was designed and built by George Corey in 1890 out of cement according to a formula of his and with the assistance of such working men as he could procure and the financial aid of all the residents (quote from Mrs. Ida M. Breiling's paper on Terrace Park). When the Baptists had no longer a need for it they sold it to the Village of Terrace Park in 1922 for a Village Hall. In time fire bays were added and in 1987 the Administration Building was built and dedicated to Ellis and Bonnie Rawnsley for their years of service and generosity to the village.
Story 5   When Louise Halley was on Council and in charge of the Community House she had the big oak table repaired and refinished. She also order the 12 oak chairs from Swallens. The small oak table came from a Maintenance man.
Story 6   Before the new Fire & EMS house was built in 2007, Fire & EMS were at this address.


Directories:

1939 Map: Community House

1942 Map: Community House

1951/3 Map: Community House

1978-82 Directories: Community Building

1984-93 Directories: Terrace Park Village

1994-2012 Directories: Terrace Park Village Offices

2015 Directory: TP EMS/Life Squad, Fire Dept, Police, Village Office

2017 Directory: TP Village Office/Police/Fire