PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  415
Street:   Elm
Name:  Gilliland/Gatch House
Family:   Pettit
Historic Plaque:  null
Owner Info:  Y
Built:   1890
Sec   23
Sub  Camden City
Lot:  544-552 Pt vac alley Adj Camden City Pr 6. 15-544-545 cons
Architect:  null
Cont/Build:  null

Description:  
#Owners:  6F?
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  Y
Replace:  N

Changes Description:   1944 - screen porch added by Graces. 1968 - screen porch converted to family room by Petits. 1944 - Graces removed 2nd floor screened sleeping porch at rear of house and added large brick patio with wall. The original wash house was converted to a grill house (see story 3). 2006 - Peggy Pettit sold off the side lot (to the north) to Debra L. & Steven D. Fletcher Tr.


Owners:

Current Owner: William R. & Peggy Mae Schulte Pettit Date Fr: 1958 Date Toc: 
Original: Traber? (see deeds) Date Fr:  Date To: 
1: Gilliland Date Fr 1: 1889? Date To 1: 1906
2: Lewis N. & Mary (Greeno) Gatch (later estate) Date Fr 2: 1906 Date To 2: 1943
3: Loren G. Gatch, & Minna & John Gatch Date Fr 3: 1943 Date To 3: 1944
4: Nancy B. Wallstead ? Date Fr 4: 1944 Date To 4: 1944
5: Dale & Eloise W. Grace Date Fr 5: 1944 Date To 5: 1956
6: Paul & Pris Connell Date Fr 6: 1956 Date To 6: 1958
7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10:  1975


Stories

Story 1   Lewis & Mary Greeno Gatch moved here from 614 Wooster Pike with their 2 children John (father of Ann of 635 Valley View in Terrace Park - earlier 602 Miami) and Loren (later at 104 Miami). We don't know when they moved to 415 Elm but at least by 1906 or 1911-12 and probably earlier since their boys grew up there. Since Lewis was a struggling young lawyer Ann Gatch suspects their parents helped them get the house.
Story 2  
Story 3   1944 - The original wash house where laundry was done was converted to a grill house and abutted to the patio. It contains a wonderful grill, hood, exhaust fan and cabinets for storage. It has a work top for food preparation or display and storage under that (originally for wood logs, converted to gas by Pettits). Originally there was a well on the site of the patio. Since laundry water still empties into the old well, the area is hot from detergent. When it snows the snow melts over the old well site. Originally the house had a slate roof.
Story 4   1911-12 Directory : Lewis Gatch - attorney, John & Loren Gatch, university students (at Princeton)
Story 5   An oral history of Mike Grace is available at the TPHS archives.
Story 6   Paul & Pris Connell 1956-1958: built and moved to 114 Red Bird, renting 415 Elm to Stu Proctor's parents when they moved back to Terrace Park from Milford (see 701 Miami).
Story 7   After buying the house, the Pettits rented to Dick & Sally Eggleston as their new house wasn't built yet and the Pettits couldn't sell their Wyoming OH house as soon as they wanted.
Story 8   2006 - Peg Pettit sold side lot to Fletcher to build 413 Elm.Peggy Mae Pettit was born 4 March 1929 and died 28 October 2010, Craver Riggs Funeral Home, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium. Memorial Service St. Thomas Church, 6 December 2010.
Story 9   William Bill R. Pettit was born 26 April 1916 and died 22 December 2000, aged 84 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 5, Niche 136, Evans Funeral Home.


Directories:

1939 Map: Galloway (rented from Gatch owners?)

1942 Map: Galloway (rented from Gatch owners?)

1951/3 Map: Dale Grace (newspaper photo during Grace residency)

1959 Directory: Dick & Sally Eggleston (renters) (moved to 625 Valley View)

1960 Directory: William & Peggy Pettit

1962-2001 Directories: ''

2002-03 Direct: Mrs. William (Peggy) Pettit

2004-07 Direct: (Side lot sold 2006 to build 413 Elm)

2008-09 Direct:

2015 Directory: ,

2017 Directory: ,