Old Version
PhotosDeeds

General Information

No:  203
Street:  Cambridge
Name:  Meyers House
Family:  Govert
Historic Plaque:  2008
Owner Info:  N
Built:  1905/6
Sec  23
Sub  Pattison & Iuen
Lot:  21 & 22
Architect:  
Cont/Build:  Fred Strathman & Sons Builders

Description:  2 1/2 stories, siding, hip roof with dormers.
#Owners:  4F + church
Original Use:  Residential
Current Use:  Residential

CHANGES - As Built:  N
Add To:  Y
Sub From:  Y
Replace:  N

Changes Description:  From early and later pictures we see there were additions (at least to the side) and subtractions (front porch removed). 1994 Permit to Jerry & Diane Govert for a family room, master bath, mud room and remodeling (Architects +; C. Keffer, construction).


Owners:

Current Owner: Jerry A. & Diane L. Govert Date Fr: 1987 Date To: 
Original: Blanche Bacon Meyers  (wife of Charles A. Meyers) (a Bacon from the New Street Bacon family  - see 209 Cambridge, next door) Date Fr: 1905 Date To: 1944
1: Charles A. Meyers (husband of Blanche) Date Fr 1: 1944 Date To 1: 1952
2: Janet Meyers McGee (a daughter of Charles) Date Fr 2: 1952 Date To 2: 1952
3: St. Thomas Church, Rector, Wardens, Vestry Date Fr 3: 1952 Date To 3: 1979
4: Rev. Robert D. & Ernestine Gerhard  Date Fr 4: 1979 Date To 4: 1984
5: David C. & Mary Judith Knauer Date Fr 5: 1984 Date To 5: 1987
6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10:  1975


Stories

Story 1   1911-12 Directory, corner of Miami and Cambridge: Charles A. Meyer Jr. (Blanche B.) - insurance. A Brief History of Building Campaigns at St. Thomas Episcopal Church contains a picture of the Montauk church decorated for the marriage of Charles A. Meyers and Blanche A. Bacon on June 4, 1899. The picture of their house in the file is probably as it was built - only small trees in the yard.
Story 2   Meyers house, manse, was left to St. Thomas Church when old Mr. Meyers died (in his will). (Blanche died earlier, but after 1930 census - 1944?.) His daughter Janet lived there awhile. It was used as the rectory for Clarke and Gerhard, then sold to Gerhard.
Story 3   Mrs. C. A. Meyers is making a short visit this week with friends in Springfield, Ohio. Miss Janet Meyers returned this week from a very delightful visit with her friend Miss Peggy Nelson, Atlantic City. From the Milford Record, May 13, 1926. Found in the attic of 429 Elm Avenue by David Lewis.
Story 4   Dorothy and Janet Meyers grew up here. Dorothy married Eppa Rixey. Janet's 1st husband was Larry Gessing. 2nd was McGee, a World War I pilot (flew under the Milford bridge). Janet's 3rd husband was Bill Hopple.
Story 5   Rev. Canon Kenneth E. Clarke was born 26 October 1922 and died 19 December 2003, aged 81 years, Schafer-Busby Funeral Home. Amelia Ashton Clarke was born 25 May 1924 and died 14 February 1985, aged 60 years. Both are buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 7, Niche 197. Ken remarried after Amelia's death.


Directories:

1939 Map: Meyers

1942 Map: Meyers

1951/3 Map: Mrs. Harry W. McGee (nee Janet Meyers)

1959 Directory: Mrs. Harry W. McGee

1962-68 Directories: The Rev. Kenneth & Amelia Clarke

1969-70 Direct: Rev. Robert & Ernestine Gerhard

1971-82 Directories:

1984-86 Directories: David & Judy Knauer

1988-2017 Directories: Jerry & Diane Govert