Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 701-1  Street: Wooster Name: 
Family:  Owner Info: N
Built: 1870c Sec: 29 Sub: Columbia Lot: 
Architect Cont/Build: 
#Owners:  Original Use: Iuen Tavern or Iuen's Hotel Current Use: Commercial
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: Y Replace: Y
See 701-2 Wooster Pike
Current Owner:  Date Fr:  Date Toc: 
Original Owner: (compare with proposed deed list) Date Fr:  Date To: 
Owner 1: Joseph Iuen (2nd wife Carolyn Schneider Fruh) Date Fr 1:  Date To 1: 
Owner 2: Rosa Fruh Davis Date Fr 2:  Date To 2: 1918
Owner 3: Kuntz Date Fr 3: 1918 Date To 3: 1953
Owner 4: (Vilardo - probably never owned the building) Date Fr 4:  Date To 4: 
Owner 5: Vera Schmidt et al Date Fr 5: 1953 Date To 5: 1955
Owner 6: Terrace Park Building & Loan Date Fr 6: 1955 Date To 6: 
Owner 7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
Owner 8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
Owner 9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
Owner 10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10: 
Description: 2 story brick & frame Tavern with additions. (Thought to have been built c 1870. 
Story 1:  The 2 story tavern (addition to original frame tavern/inn) of hand fired bricks was built by Virginia Iuen Marquett's great grandfather, Joseph Iuen.  His son, James Iuen, farmed a large area of what is now Terrace Park.  "James Iuen built barns  (used until 1916c) where Ashland Gas is standing (Hinner's at Wooster & Indian Hill).  Farmers would spend the night at the inn and lodge their animals in the big barns; the next morning they would transport their livestock to downtown markets and slaughter houses." (see Village Views article May 1998 in file).                                                          
  See pictures in the house notebook of the tavern and members of the Iuen family.  Pictures there also of the destruction and rebuilding.
  Caroline Fruh had 4 children (a fifth had died) with her when she married Joseph Iuen who had 7 children.  They had one together: Rosa.  Caroline later lived in the frame building just to the east of the 2 story Tavern.  The frame part to the west was built as a restaurant addition to the Tavern.  To the west of that was a gas station (Story 7).  
       Henry Fruh, son of Caroline Fruh Iuen and stepson of Joseph Iuen,  died 17 April 1936, buried in Section 13 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH, C. T. Johnson Funeral Home.  (see deeds)
     Joseph Iuen Sr, was born 4 September 1820 in France and died 26 September 1907, aged 86 years, buried in Section 11 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH. 
Story 2: The tavern was probably owned by Joseph J. Kuntz or at least was manager.  The one story part on the right was a lunch-counter/delicatessen.  It may have started as a candy store. The two story part was a restaurant/saloon.  Anna Agnes Ollberding Kuntz (1897- September 30, 1977), wife of son, Joseph A. Kuntz, was a cook there for many years as was their daughter Claire M. "Sis" Kuntz Miller (1920-1992).  Joseph A. Kuntz and family lived on the second floor of the restaurant building.  Two patrons of the Kuntz Tavern era were Eppa Rixey of baseball fame and Fritz Huber "carpenter", builder of many homes in Terrace Park (see information in file of 702 Indian Hill Road).
Story 3: No date or source for this "Sidelight".  Joe Kuntz, now living in Fairfield, ran the village grocery from 1918-28, most of the time in the old tavern building on the site of the present Terrace Park Building & Loan structure.  "Nearly every day, he recalls "their trainer would walk the four elephants up to the grocery from the Robinson farm on Wooster Pike and buy each of them a loaf of bread."  And seeing an elephant pulling a plow on the Robinson place in spring was so commonplace that apparently nobody thought of taking a picture of it.  
Story 4: "Autos Collide on Wooster Pike.  Drivers Fail To Understand Direction Each Intended to Take.  Failure to understand the directions which each driver intended to take at a cross road on Wooster Pike near the Miami Grove caused considerable damage to two machines Wednesday morning.  Joseph Kuntz, grocery man, of Terrace Park was slightly injured as a result of the collision.  Kuntz was driving toward Milford when he met a Nash Sedan driven by Ray Young, Forest St., Cincinnati.  Young was at the intersection of the pike and Elm Road.  Both drivers apparently misunderstood the intentions of each other, and the machines crashed into each other.  The front end of each car was badly damaged.  Mr. Kuntz was driving a Studebaker Coach.  The force of the collision caused a number of painful bruises on one of Mr. Kuntz's legs.  A large number of bottles of mayonnaise which Mr. Kuntz had in the machine were broken up in the crash."     From the Milford Record, May 13, 1926 found in the attic of 429 Elm Avenue by David Lewis.  
Story 5: "Vilardo's Tavern" followed that of Joseph J. Kuntz (see file).  Vilardos first came to the Fresh Air Farm in 1944.  Albert Vilardo collected $900 to buy the tavern business (see more in the archives.)  Albert and Mary Vilardo lived at 415 Washington in Terrace Park (after living above and then in an apartment adjoining the tavern). Mary Vilardo co-founded Vilardo's Tavern with her husband, Albert.  She was a proud American who was born in Sicily and "came to the United States with her family at age 3.  She left school in the 8th grade to work in a local tailoring shop to subsidize the family's income.   That experience led to a seamstress position in women's apparel for Gidding Jenny's on 4th Street downtown, H&S Pogue, the Colonial Shops in Mariemont and Hyde Park, and Lillian's in Hyde Park.... (she) also had worked as a dietitian at the Fresh Air Farm.  She was a member of the American Business Women's Association....The bar and restaurant (at Vilardo's Tavern) specialized in Italian cooking. "  Information from her obituary.  Much more information in the TPHS archives.    
Story 6: November 1969 Village Views - Hospitality House (in back of old Terrace Tavern) is closing after 3 1/2 years.  New building is to open in early 1970.
Story 7: Just west of Iuen Tavern was a Service Station once run by Sanford and then Jack Busch.  
1939 Map: Kuntz, Castor, Fishbock
1942 Map: Mrs. Ida Castor, Kuntz, Harry Olberding, Bill's Bar-B-Q
1951/3 Map: Eppert, Mrs. Loretta Olberding, Stoll, Terrace Tavern
1959-63 Directories:  
1963-64 Direct: Terrace Tavern,  Hospitality House (Elm & Wooster)
1965-68 Directories: "                                          " 
1971-72 Direct: