|| Corporation Line Marker immediately west of 610
"Reinforced concrete column that supports two rectangular metal signs.
Approximately 7 feet in height. 'Hamilton County' impressed into the concrete
column, while 'Corp. Line Terrace Park' and 'Cincinnati-Chillicothe Road 1/2' painted onto
the metal signs.
An example of early twentieth century road signage that is
rapidly disappearing from the American scene. Route 50, also known as the George
Washington Highway, is among the nation's most significant east-west transportation
Extremely busy highway that bisects this small residential
community." (Information from the Ohio Historic Inventor)
||1825 for 80 years - 2 horse wagon paid 3 cents mile;
horse & buggy paid 2 cents mile; horse back paid 1 cent mile.
||Joseph and Lillian Noertker lived here in the
||Village Views April 1980. "Terrace Park came
through in its usual open handed fashion when fire damaged the home of Mr.
and Mrs. Ben McIntosh at 610 Wooster Pike, one of the oldest buildings in
the village. Polly Bassett is handling the collection of clothing
and furnishings needed by the family, which is now occupying a trailer in
Camp Dennison but hoping to return to Terrace Park. The fire May 25
caused damage which Fire Chief Pierce Matthews estimated at $10,000.
It was started by grease igniting in a pan on the kitchen stove, rapidly engulfed
the kitchen and began breaking through to the attic. There was smoke
damage throughout the structure. Patrolman Gerald Rowe reached the house
first, got Mrs. McIntosh to safely, and then, realizing the danger and the
Terrace Park fire department's short-handedness in daytime, immediately
put in a call for the Milford Fire Department as well. Had he not
done so, said the Rev. George Hill, fire department lieutenant who was
early on the scene, the building might have been destroyed.
The building was originally the toll house when Wooster Pike was a toll
road to Milford in the mid 1800s. Its basement rafters are logs
squared off to take the flooring on top. The incident provided
another "first" for Terrace Park. Although the village
fire department was the first in the county to enroll women as firemen,
Judy Schneider became the first woman to drive a truck to an actual fire
and handle the pump an engineer."
||In Village Views October 1989 - "Tollhouse Is
Razed. What tradition says was the tollhouse for an early highway
through Terrace Park was torn down on September 26. The small house
below the level of today's Wooster Pike stood just east of the Terrace
Park shopping center. It was torn down by the shopping center owners
in keeping with an agreement made with village council over a year
ago. A small metal sign still remains to identify
Cincinnati-Chillicothe Road, established in 1828, in an era when
Chillicothe was a major center, being the capital of the Northwest
Territory in 1800 and twice the capital of Ohio, in 1803-10 and
1812-16. There was little to tell of the building's age except the
logs which, flattened on one side, formed the joints supporting the first