Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 411-1 Street: Terrace Place Name: 
Family:  Owner Info: N
Built: 1886 or circa 1890 Sec: 23 Sub: Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City Lot: 112
Architect:  Cont/Build: J. W. Sibley
#Owners:  Original Use: Residential Current Use: torn down and replaced
CHANGES As Built: Y Add To: N Sub From: Y Replace: Y
Torn down and replaced in 1990.
Current Owner: John G. Jones (Graduate Services) Date Fr: 1988 Date To: 
Original Owner: 1891 J. W. Sibley to R. E. Werner (owned 34 lots) sold #112 Date Fr: 1891 Date To: 1891
Owner 1: Harriet M. Gegner (& Charles) Date Fr 1: 1891 Date To 1: 1921
Owner 2: Lulu Tarvin Date Fr 2: 1921 Date To 2: 1925
Owner 3: Mrs. Lillian M. Droescher (still in 1953) Date Fr 3: 1925 Date To 3: 
Owner 4: Howard & Jennie Droescher Date Fr 4:  Date To 4: 1972
Owner 5: Clarence "Boots" H. Duesing (original building) Date Fr 5: 1972 Date To 5: 1988
Owner 6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
1975 Owner:  Clarence H. Duesing Jr. Ir 112 Sib 1
Description:      2 story Victorian Queen Anne architecture, siding, gable roof.  "Rather simple two story frame building characterized by its "L" plan and plain fenestration.  Narrow one bay front facade exhibits a gable end with fishscale shingles and decorative attic vent.  Paired one-over-one window has simple surrounds.  South wall exhibits small two bay fenestration: small Eastlake porch and one-over-one windows.  #36.  It is difficult to discern whether the storefront is original.   
     Significant as an example of Victorian Queen Anne architecture and for its early commercial context in Terrace Park.  Lot #112 of J. W. Sibley's subdivision, platted on May 29, 1886.  In 1891 R. E. Werner, who owned 34 lots, sold lot #112 to Harriet M. Gegner (Deed Book 718, Page 240)  Gegner subsequently took out a mortgage with the Milford Home Building Company.  Mrs. Gegner was not listed in the 1891 Hamilton County Directory, but in 1893 she was listed as follows: Gegner, Mrs. Harriet J. books, postmaster and railroad agent, Terrace Park.  Perhaps the commercial space on the first floor served as a bookstore an/or post office.  
     Part of a small cluster of commercial buildings serving this residential community.  Faces the right-of-way of the abandoned Little Miami Railroad(Ohio Historic Inventory - 4/1980)  In 1980 when the Inventory was done the building was deemed to be in "excellent condition" both inside and out.  It was not on the National Register but was eligible. 
Story 1: The first building on the lot was a 3 bedroom frame house believed by a descendent of Sibley to be one of the 1st houses he built in Terrace Park c1886.  The 1892 map shows only this building in the 400 block of Terrace Place.  By 1891 it was owned and occupied by H. W. Gegner when Harriet was appointed postmaster which she combined with storekeeping.  In 1895 Village Council voted to meet on Gegner's second floor.  Council stayed here only a short time before moving to the second floor of 415 Terrace Place.  In 1903 the post office also moved down the street to 415 Terrace Place with Lucius Conkling and his wife (Lillian 1920) as successive postmasters.  Briefly their daughter was postmaster next in a little building across Harvard on what is now the Village Green.  The post office returned to the first floor of 411 in 1921 with Lulu Tarvin as postmaster with her two sons as helpers.  They continued to operate the store.  Next Lillian Droescher ran the combined post office and store from 1925 for the next 25 years.  She lived at the rear of the 1st floor, had the post office in front and rented the upstairs to the Terrace Park Building and Loan Association. (see story 1, 409 Terrace Place)
  When Effie Miller, postmaster, moved the post office next door in the new building in 1953, the Terrace Park Building and Loan moved into the vacant first floor and stayed until 1956/7 when they moved to Wooster Pike.  The Terrace Park Realty Inc. occupied the first floor in 1959.  There may have been other renters before "Boots" Duesing rented and then purchased the building from Dreoscher for his Graduate Services business.  John G. Jones purchased the building in 1988 and continued the business.  The building was demolished in 1990 and replaced by the present brick structure (Jim Nordloh, architect and Norval Julnes, builder).
Story 2: April 14, 1966 Eastern Hamilton County Messenger says Trackside Treasures was opening here but was it here or next door at 413 Terrace Place?  See story at 413.  
Story 3: See story 6 at 415 Terrace Place for more information.  
1939 Map: Droescher
1942 Map: Mrs. Lillian Droescher
1951/3 Map: Lillian Droescher
1959 Directory: Mrs. Lillian M. Droescher
1960-70 Directories: ''
1971-72 Direct: "      (Lillian died at 92 years, July 13, 1971 in Mariemont.  Her husband, George, died July 4, 1921 in Terrace Park) (Sold 1972)
1973-74 Direct: ---- 
1975-76 Direct: ----
1978 Directory: Graduate Services
1980 Directory: "
1982-88 Directories: "