Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos
No: Street: Stumps Name: 
Family: Terrace Park Swim Club Owner Info: N
Built:  Sec: 28 Sub: Biggs Estate Lot: 27
Architect:  Cont/Build: Bill Stevens originally
#Owners:  Original Use: Swim Club Current Use: Swim & Tennis Club
CHANGES As Built:  Add To: Y Sub From:  Replace: 
1964 - erected a  52'8" x 22' pavilion (Steinkamp & Nordloh, architect; Ron Hughes, contractor [died 1997]).
Current Owner: Terrace Park Swim & Tennis Club Date Fr:  Date To: 
Original Owner: Terrace Park Swim Club Date Fr:  Date To: 
Owner 1: William & Mary L. Hooper ("lots 21, 22, 23 & 27 - 99 year lease, renewable forever, with option to purchase" "Note: in margin is an inscription that lease is full paid and a deed given to Fred Rimpler 6/13/1892.  Signed 'W. Hooper' by W. Austin Goodman, Attorney in Fact."   Date Fr 1:  Date To 1: 1890
Owner 2: Fred & Rosina Rimpler ("all of lot 27") Date Fr 2: 1890 Date To 2: 1892
Owner 3: James Iuen ("Lot 27 & more land.  Exception as to land to Traction Co. - 2 acres more or less.  Note: Grantor died 1/24/1953 according to Probate Records, survived by widow Anna R. Iuen et al".   Date Fr 3: 1892 Date To 3: 1928
Owner 4: Anna Rosa Iuen ("All of lot 27 - except 2 acres, more or less, to Traction Co..  Subject to legal highways." Date Fr 4: 1928 Date To 4: 1955
Owner 5: E. F. "Tex" Clennin Date Fr 5: 1955 Date To 5: 
Owner 6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
Owner 7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
Owner 8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
1975 Owner:   
Description: Several small 1 story buildings or pavilions.
Story 1: Information (and also above & below) gathered in 1956 when the Terrace Park Swim Club was to be built. "Judgment: Henry Rimpler vs. James Iuen. Court of appeal # 878.  Court made several findings of fact including the 20 ft. roadway which runs along ease side of Lot 27 was held to be necessary for ingress and egress to Lots 21, 22, 23 and other as the same had always been used by plaintiffs predecessors in title as a roadway for access to said lots.  The Farm Road shown on plat was never opened up so the 20 ft. roadway over Lot 27 was necessary to lots to the south.  Defendant was permanently enjoined from ever closing off the same.  Note: This 20 ft. roadway is wholly within bounds of Lot 27."  More information in TP Historical Society Archives.
Story 2:  "Easement: Anna R. Iuen to The Cinti. Sub. Bell Telephone Co. 4/16/1940.  'Along private road south of Elm Rd. - along the road only'.  No width given and this is all of the description."                                                                                                          "Agreement between all owners of land abutting on Elm Road as to its location, size and shape.  Anna R. Iuen and James W. Iuen, her husband are among signers.  Roadway just north of Lot 27 is 60 ft. wide and elsewhere varies between 50 and 60 ft."  "20' Roadway, running N. & S. does not appear on Plat Book 6/8."
Story 3: Information from Hilliard Fjord in 2008.  "During that first year (1956) we became involved in the group wanting to start a swim club and to build a swimming pool.  After numerous planning sessions we formed a not-for-profit corporation and started selling bonds to fund the purchase of land and the construction of the pool and related facilities.  Jim Parker was the first President of the Club and several of us became junior officers and board members.  Our first challenge was to sell enough bonds to buy the land and then an even harder job to sell enough bonds to construct the pool and pool house.  We priced the bonds at $500.00 each and several of us board members had to buy quite a few extra bonds to get the project started.  Eventually we were able to resell our extra bonds to new members after the pool opened for business.  We did a lot of research about swimming pool construction and operation before buying the land and starting construction.  That research resulted in the decision to have the Ransohoff Company of Hamilton, Ohio build a prefabricated aluminum pool with Bill Stevens of Terrace Park as the general contractor for site preparation and construction of the pool house, the parking  lot and related improvements.  We bought the land from a guy, whose name I can't recall (Tex Clennin, see above), but who owned many acres of bottom land along the Little Miami River and lived in a house on the hillside above Wooster Pike, as soon as we had enough money in the bank to complete the job.  Then we signed the contracts with The Ransohoff Co. and Bill Stevens and construction got under way.  I can't remember the dates but what an exciting day it was in Terrace Park when the pool finally opened!  Bill Stevens continued to improve and maintain the premises that first couple of years.  Eventually we added tennis courts and set up a separate, but related Tennis Club to finance and maintain those facilities." 
Story 4: Kurt Yates, Swim Coach and Pool Manager for 5 summers (1995-2000) died September 22, 2005 from complications of lymphoma.  "He had battled lymphoma for the past 3 1/2 years and during that time continued to work in Frank McCormack's lab at UC Medical School and Coach for the Mariemont Aquatic Club.  He spent hours with kids teaching them to race and instilling in them a passion for swimming at MAC.  Many pool members spent time talking with Kurt about his years at Providence College or his world wide travels he took at the end of each swim season." Information from Susan Austin from J. D. Turner, also a former TPSC swim coach.  
1978-2012 Directories: Terrace Park Swim Club