Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 906-1 Street: Stanton Name: 
Family: Diamond D. Investments Owner Info: Y
Built: 1915-20? & 1961 Sec: 28 Sub: Thomas R. Biggs Gravelotte Lot: Pars 2&3, pt BL 13
Architect: Ed Ritchie Cont/Build: 
#Owners: 2 Original Use: Residential Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: Y Replace: Y
1961 - Ed Ritchie drew plans to add the present living area for a total of 1798 sq. ft.  1973 - Ed Ritchie put on aluminum siding.  Torn down and new built - 906-2
Current Owner: Diamond D. Investments, Inc. Date Fr: 1998 Date Toc: 
Original Owner: Leonora Robinson Date Fr: 1905 Date To: 1923
Owner 1: Bertha & H. Kessler Sr. Smith Date Fr 1: 1923 Date To 1: 1960
Owner 2: Edward C. & Inge Ritchie Date Fr 2: 1960 Date To 2: 1998
Owner 3:  Date Fr 3:  Date To 3: 
Owner4:  Date Fr 4:  Date To 4: 
Owner 5:  Date Fr 5:  Date To 5: 
Owner 6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
Owner 7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
Owner 8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
Owner 9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
Owner 10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10: 
Owner 11:  Date Fr 11:  Date To 11: 
1975 Owner:  Edward C. & Inga N. Ritchie. Pt 13 Gravelotte Biggs Sub Pars 2-3 Cons
Description: Originally a small frame farmhouse with 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bath and partial basement. After the Ritchie's addition (split-level, aluminum & brick siding, gable roof) had a living room, dining room, kitchen/ dinette, 3 bedrooms, den/bedroom, 2 1/2 baths, 2 car integral garage, laundry and family room.  Realtor's information in 1998 mentions a porch.  When the Tollefsen's  (812 Floral) looked at it to buy in 1958, the only entrance to the basement (or cellar?) was a trap door with stairs.  
Story 1: Information from Edward C. Ritchie, February 15, 1996.  "The former owners date back to when a large tract was owned by Leonora Robinson of the Robinson Circus family.  Some time before the Smith's interest in any of the parcel the Robinson Circus occupied the acreage as winter quarters for the Circus animals and equipment.  Mrs. Smith explained there were several large barns between our site and Elm Street along the South side of a dirt lane which is now Stanton Avenue.  Mrs. Smith explained the circus blacksmith shed sat at the end of our driveway which we can well believe as we have frequently dug up horse shoes, metal rings and various stakes, chains, etc.  A large parcel was conveyed to Kessler Smith in March of 1923 by Leonora Robinson to whom Bertha Smith reported she was related (by marriage). [Kessler Smith was Mrs. Leonora S. Robinson's brother.  His sister married John G. Robinson - 1 Circus Place.]  Mrs. Smith also felt that the famous elephant Tillie is buried somewhere between our property and the railroad, this land now shared with us by Roger and Dinah Winters and Al and Karen Roberts.  Mrs. Smith (widow of Kessler Smith) from whom we purchased the property said a small farm house existed on the site but she had no knowledge of when it was built but thought it was between 1915 and 1920." 
  "The small frame farm house we purchased September 1960 contained two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bath and partial basement.  The first floor living area was 832 square feet.  Having a basic architectural education I drew new plans adding a brick veneer living area of 966 square feet for a current total of 1798 square feet.  Our reconstruction was started in 1961 and our home contains living room, dining room, kitchen /dinette, 3 bedrooms, den/bedroom, and 2 1/2 baths.  Two car integral garage, laundry and family room are in the lower level."
  Leonora Smith was Kessler Smith's sister.  She married John G. Robinson III, the last operator of the Robinson Circus.
Story 2: From the deed of sale.  When the Ritchie's purchased this property in 1960 it was "the last remaining parcel of land owned by H. Kessler Smith at the time of his death out of the larger tract conveyed to him in March, 1923".
  Mr. Ritchie includes with his return of our survey the information in stories 1 and 2 as well as a plan of the house after their addition, pictures (before, during and after) and a map of the location of the property.
Story 3: Inge Ritchie - president T. P. Garden Club 1968-70
Story 4: Edward C. Ritchie was born 1 July 1917 and died 21 September 2003, aged 86 years, Gilligan Funeral Home.  Inga N. Ritchie was born 3 February 1919 and died 29 June 1996, aged 77 years.  They are both buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 2, Niche 53. 
1939 Map: Smith
1942 Map: Smith
1951/3 Map: Kessler Smith
1959 Directory: Mrs. Kessler (Bertha) Smith
1960 Directory: ''      (Bertha L. Smith died in 1978, aged 100 or 101)
1962-63 Direct: Edward & Inga Ritchie
1963-95 Directories: ''
1996-97 Direct: ''      (Ed moved after Inga's death)
1998-99 Direct: ----   (Sold 1998)
2000-01 Direct: ----