||The present 313 Oxford was originally next door on the
east - just 12 feet away from 306 Rugby.
Picture of both houses prior to 1920. Dan Startsman Sr. remembers watching moving
the house across the alley with mule teams and a steam jenny. Are the rocks from the
side porch still on the lot?
|| Will & Evelyn Lloyd died in the mid 1930s and the house
was rented until March 1946 when Allen Lloyd (3rd child of Huber Lloyd)
and his wife bought it. (info from Allen Lloyd)
William T. Lloyd was born 25 June 1872 and died 21
July 1934, aged 62 years, buried in Section 12 of Greenlawn Cemetery,
Milford OH, C. T. Johnson Funeral Home.
||Agnes Prizer Cassidy was born in 1862
and died 13 July 1931, buried in section 8 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford
OH. C. T. Johnson Funeral Home. It seems likely that this was Agnes M.
Cassidy, the Lloyd's servant in 1920, aged 57 years and still their servant
in 1930, aged 67 years.
||Obituary for Allen Huber Lloyd, engineer. Founder
of toy company also worked with area schools. By Sharon Morgan in
The Cincinnati Enquirer.
Allen Huber Lloyd was a man of ideas and he implemented those ideas in
vocation schools and as a businessman. Mr. Lloyd, a native of
Terrace Park, died of cancer Aug. 25 in Fort Meyers, Fla., where he had
retired. He was 80. Mr. Lloyd was a past president and
organizer of Hamilton County Joint Vocational School District. He
was also a former member of the Hamilton County Board of Education.
He graduated from the University of Cincinnati in1933 with a degree, which
he put to use as president of Multifold Inc. of Milford. Mr. Lloyd
was one of the founders of Multifold, a company that used to make toys,
but now manufactures machinery for the paper industry. James A.
Madewell, president of the company since Mr. Lloyd retired in1975, said:
"Al originated most of the patents for the company. He was also
in charge of all engineering functions. Al's enthusiasm is what
really made our company successful." Mr. Lloyd also served as
president of the Mariemont school board from 1949-1970. Robert
Crabbs, a former board member, said Mr. Lloyd "had a great sense of
social purpose. He waited until Mariemont High School was completed
before retiring from the board." Mr. Lloyd, a World War II Army
lieutenant, was also active on the Milford Library Board. He helped
organize the Cowan Lake Sailing Association near Blanchester, Ohio.
Surviving besides his wife, Mary of Fort Meyers, are two daughter, Dr.
Phoebe A. Lloyd, Lynchburg, Va., and Elizabeth Lloyd Lohse of Milford; and
two grandchildren. Mr. Lloyd's body was cremated. Memorials
can be made to the Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation, Sanibel
Captiva Road, Sanibel Fla. 33957. (There's also a picture of Mr.
Information from Greenlawn Cemetery,
Milford OH. Allen H. Lloyd was born 13 May 1912 and died 28 August
1990, aged 78 years, buried in Section 12 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH.
Whitelaw Sibley is responsible for developing more of Terrace Park than
any other person. He was born
February 20, 1816 in Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont and came west
through New York state where he married Mary Alida Hastings in Clinton,
Oneida County, New York, September 9, 1840.
He settled in Cincinnati as a Commission Merchant.
By 1880 he and his family were living on Grandin Road in Hyde Park
where he remained until his death, April 6, 1893.
It wasn’t until 1886 that deeds show him buying up land in what
became Terrace Park. He
established four subdivisions: South of Oxford to the north side of
Amherst in 1886, Myrtle to Miami and Marietta beyond Stanton to the bluff
in 1890, Amherst to Marietta and Yale to Miami in 1891 and the south side
of Amherst from Elm to Floral in 1892.
By then he was 76 years old.
Once he had some land he needed to start building houses.
It looks as if he then found a Cincinnati architect, bought plans
for a house from him for $25 and started building homes using this plan.
These are the ones that have become known as “railroad houses”.
Perhaps they should have been called “Sibley houses” since all
of them are in his subdivisions. Why
they were called “railroad houses” remains a mystery since it does not
appear that they were built either by the railroad or for railroad
employees. Certainly it was
well know that there was easy rail transportation from this newly
developing area into Cincinnati for work.
The first home he built still stands, now greatly
enlarged, at 311 Harvard Avenue for his eldest son James Hastings Sibley.
He too was first listed in the 1880 and 1890 census as a Commission
Merchant like his father but by the 1893 Cincinnati City Directory was
listed as a Real Estate agent living in Terrace Park.
Before that he and his brother were “helping father”.
In 1887 J. W. Sibley built 306 Rugby Avenue, also now greatly
enlarged, for his next son Frank Hastings Sibley.
He also built homes for the West (203 Marietta Avenue) and
Bellville families (710 and 716 Floral Avenue) as well as for the Lucius
and Amanda Conking family at 615 Amherst Avenue in 1892.
Stella Galloway Boone wrote a paper for the Terrace Park Garden
Club in 1942 in which she lists 17 “railroad houses”.
Exactly how each one looked when it was first built we will
probably never know, but there seems to have been some variation as in 615
Amherst Avenue. Most have had
significant additions but are still recognizable as houses built by the
Sibley family in the 1880s and ‘90s. It seems sad the James Whitelaw Sibley died just as Terrace
Park was becoming incorporated. According
to Ellis Rawnsley both he and his son, Frank H. Sibley, were among the
founding fathers of Terrace Park.