Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photo Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 223  Street: Rugby Name: Startsman House
Family: Startsman Owner Info: Y
Built: 1912 Sec: 23 Sub: Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City Lot: 69-70
Architect: Clarence D. Boone (Deborah Startsman's brother) Cont/Build: 
#Owners: 1F Original Use: Residential Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: N Replace: N
Late 19 teens - a 2 story garage with horse stall was completed.  1934/35 - the log cabin was built as a recreation structure.  October 1986 - frame construction addition to rear of house.  2003 - demolish outbuilding - shed (Startsman).  
Current Owner: Daniel B. & Kathryn R. Startsman Jr. (III) Date Fr: 1985 Date To: 
Original Owner: Daniel H. & Deborah Boone Startsman (I) Date Fr: 1911 Date To: 1985
Owner 1:  Date Fr 1:  Date To 1: 
Owner 2:  Date Fr 2:  Date To 2: 
Owner 3:  Date Fr 3:  Date To 3: 
Owner 4:  Date Fr 4:  Date To 4: 
Owner 5:  Date Fr 5:  Date To 5: 
Owner 6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
Owner 7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
Owner 8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
Owner 9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
Owner 10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10: 
1975 Owner:  Deborah A. Startsman (in 1940 signed name Debbie Jane Startsman)
Description: 1 1/2 story Bungalow, brick, gable roof with front dormers over porch and frame addition to rear. 
Story 1: Dan H. Startsman kept a horse, Kim, for many years (garage with horse stall).   Kim died in July 1973 at the age of 32.  Mr. Startsman rode Kim for an hour every day until he died in 1959.  
Story 2:      Dan Startsman, father of the present owner (2010), son of Daniel and Deborah, was born in an upstairs bedroom.  A doctor came over from Milford to assist.  For more Startsman family history see 325 Rugby.  Another child was Debbie Jane.
    
Daniel H. Startsman was born 23 April 1885 and died 23 November 1959, aged 74 years, Craver Funeral Home.  Deborah Boone Startsman was born 13 January 1886 and died 17 June 1984, aged 98 years, Craver-Hookom Funeral Home.  They are both buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Miami Township OH.    According to the 1900 Census Deborah is a granddaughter of Thomas and Nancy S. Boone. 
     Clarence D. Boone, architect of 223 Rugby Avenue, was born 1 November 1887 and died 5 November 1948, aged 61 years, buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Miami Township OH.  According to the 1900 Census he is a grandson of Thomas and Nancy Boone. 
Story 3: The house was passed on from Deborah Boone Startsman to her grandson (Daniel Boone Startsman Jr.) and his family.  Daniel Boone Startsman Jr.  was Mayor of Terrace Park 2000-03.
Story 4: From the writings of Stan Miller, extracted from "Memoirs of the Miami Valley" published in 1920: "Daniel H. Startsman, president of the William Glenny Glass Company and one of the constructive factors in the development of the glass trade at Cincinnati, was born here April  23, 1885, a son of William Glenny Startsman.  His father was born at Cincinnati, a son of Daniel H. Startsman, in 1861, and received his education in the public schools, following which he became identified with the William Glenny Glass Company, with which he was associated until his death, May 12, 1908.  After graduating from the Wyoming High School, Daniel H. Startsman entered the William Glenny Glass Company, and for five years worked at the plant, where he mastered cutting, packing, etc.  After this practical experience, he was taken into the office as a clerk, and subsequently rose to secretary and finally to president, the office which he now holds.  He is familiar with every phase, detail and department of the business, and in trade circles is known as an authority upon certain matters pertaining to the glass industry.  Mr. Startsman is a chapter Mason and a member of the Chamber of Commerce and has various social and civic connections of an important character.  August 16, 1911, he was united in marriage with Deborah, daughter of Hiram Boone of Hamilton County, Ohio, and they have two children, Daniel Boone and Deborah Jane.  The William Glenny Glass Company, was founded in 1851, as William Glenny Glass Company, and was located at the corner of Thirty-Sixth and Vine Streets until 1889, when it moved to Commerce and Race Streets.  In the mean time, April 16, 1885, the business had been incorporated as the William Glenny Glass Company, with a capital stock of $100,000, and the following officers: William Glenny, president; G. W. Dial, vice-president' and F. M. Southward, secretary and treasurer.  The company continued to handle all kinds of glass at the Commerce and Race location until 1897, when a new building was taken over at 119 Front Street.  George W. Dial died in 1892 and Mr. Southward subsequently resigned.  Mr. Glenny continuing as president and A. C. McDonald becoming secretary and treasurer and William Glenny Startsman, secretary.  July 13, 1904, the building of the company were sold to the C. O. & N. T. P. Railroad, and the plant was moved to Race and Commerce streets.  The death of the founder, William Glenny, in March, 1906, resulted in the election of Charles Wandless to the presidency; William G. Startsman at that time becoming vice-president and A. C. McDonald resuming his duties as secretary and treasurer.  Two years later the new warehouse, at 10 to 16 West Commerce Street was built.  May 12, 1908 occured the death of William G.  Startsman, when his son Daniel H. Startsman was elected secretary, A. C. McDonald president and treasurer, and Charles Wandless, vice-president.  March 13, 1909, the capital of the company was increased to $265,000.  A. C. McDonald died May 31, 1917, after a service of thirty-four years, he having joined the company as an assistant to Mr. Glenny.  Just prior to his death, January 1917, he had been elected president of the company; Charles Wandles vice-president; D. H. Startsman, secretary; John H. Miller, treasurer.  July 10, 1917, the following officers were elected: Daniel H. Startsman president, H. M. Warner, secretary; Charles Wandless, vice-president; and John H. Miller, treasurer.  This company manufactures window glass, and acts as glaziers and jobbers of glass for all building purposes.  Mr. Glenny imported the first plate glass west of the Allegheny Mountains.  He was one of the first handlers and users of plate glass made in America, which he secured from a small factory built and managed by Edward Ford, the pioneer in the plate glass industry at Albany Ind.  Thirty people are employed in the plant of the William Glenny Glass Company, which utilizes 90,000 square feet of floor space.  The company disposes of its products for which there is a steady demand and a ready market, through agencies and direct to customers, its territory including the states of Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama.".    
1939 Map: Startsman
1942 Map: Startsman
1951/3 Map: D. H. Startsman
1959-60 Directories: D. H. & Deborah Startsman
1962-82 Directories: Mrs. D. H. (Deborah) Startsman
1984 Directory: ----
1986 -2012 Directories: Dan & Kathy Startsman Jr.