||Faye Corey says 729 was built in 1875, others say 1892.
||Liz Tuttle, an historian, says this house was built before the Civil
War as it was pre-existing in the Court House records in 1875. It most
likely had a
twin at 727.
William W. (H.?) Eigher Sr. died 5 May 1947, buried
in section 3 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH, Thomas Funeral Home.
William Henry Eigher (a son) was born 25 July 1905 and died 9 July 1966,
aged 90 years, buried in Section 19 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH,
Craver-Hookom Funeral Home. Kenneth Eigher (another son) was born 5
June 1910 and died 21 October 1996, aged 86 years, buried in Section 22 of
Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH, Evans Funeral Home. (see also 812
Floral and 714 Wooster Pike)
||Ruth Clayton remembers a Baird family living here.
Ruth thought they moved to Lexington Circle with the Slifers but we have
no record of that. The families along this side of Park in Ruth's
childhood were: Corey 715, Boland 719, Towne 723, Saap 727, Baird
729, Miller 731.
||This house was on the 2008 House Tour as a last minute
substitute after 615 Amherst Avenue had to drop out due to damage suffered
in the wake of Hurricane Ike.
729 Park Avenue
(information from 2008 House Tour)
Before Terrace Park was incorporated in 1893, George Washington
Corey, in 1886, established one of the oldest subdivisions in Terrace
Park. Whatís left of it
today is Park Avenue. There
he built at least 5 houses as well as his own on Wooster Pike (722, now
723 Indian Hill Road). 722
and 726 Park Avenue were twins; 729 and 727 Park Avenue, which has been
replaced, were also twins. Those
were built between 1875 and 1880. 715
Park Avenue was built probably circa 1892 as the manse for the Baptist
church, built in 1890. Except
for 715 Park Avenue all of these homes and the Baptist Church were built
of poured cement, making walls 12-18íí thick.
The story goes that during a depression/recession or panic as it
was then called the owner of some barges on the Little Miami River
suffered bankruptcy and Corey was able to obtain the powdered cement
ballast from the barges at auction for almost nothing.
The buildings were poured a few feet at a time using hand made
forms. The concrete was
scored while still wet to give the building the appearance of having been
built of stone blocks.
donít know how 749 Park Avenue looked when first built, but the front
porch with a railing (removed by the Oberles) was added in 1890.
A bathroom and kitchen were added in the 1920s.
donít know a lot about George Washington Corey before he came to
Columbia Township, but one can find him living on Wooster Pike in the 1880
census with his second wife, Rachel, and his widowed mother, Sarah.
What house were they living in then?
The Corey family looks like a good research project for
some willing volunteer!