Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos Click here to see deed index 
No: 629  Street: Myrtle Name: 
Family: Cole Owner Info: Y
Built: 1953 Sec: 23 Sub: C. R Stuntz's Terrace Park Lot: 24-25, pt 23
Architect: Plan #4995 Garlinghouse Plan Service, Topeka KS (don't know whether custom or not). Cont/Build: Walter Gingrich (with help from Harry Werner & others)
#Owners: 3 Original Use: Residential Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: N Replace: N
1966 - the Coles added a bedroom over the existing 1st floor back room (Don Curless, contractor).  The 1st floor back room was originally built as a bedroom for Vernon Peterson's father.  The Peterson girls remember it more as a TV room.  The room underneath was built as a shop for Vernon Peterson and has been used the same way by the Cole family.  
Current Owner: Leland M. & Carol C. Cole Date Fr: 1966 Date To: 
Original Owner: Vernon & Delores C. Peterson Date Fr: 1953 Date To: 1965
Owner 1: Robert C . & Louise D. "Ann" Hopkins Date Fr 1: 1965 Date To 1: 1966
Owner 2:  Date Fr 2:  Date To 2: 
Owner 3: Date Fr 3:  Date To 3: 
Owner 4:  Date Fr 4:  Date To 4: 
Owner 5:  Date Fr 5:  Date To 5: 
Owner 6: Date Fr 6: Date To 6:
Owner 7: Date Fr 7: Date To 7:
Owner 8: Date Fr 8: Date To 8:
Owner 9: Date Fr 9: Date To 9:
Owner 10: Date Fr 10: Date To 10:
1975 Owner:  Leland Milnor & Carol Cronk Cole
Description: 2 story, central hall, Colonial, brick and siding, gable roof.
Story 1: The house was built on land formerly owned by Gladys Green of 625 Myrtle.  When the house went up she was not pleased it turned out to be 2 story.  There was a gate in the fence between 625 and 629 Myrtle.  It was locked with a padlock when the fence went up.  However the gate may have been used by Vernon Peterson's father when he lived here and frequently visited Gladys.
Story 2: The Peterson girls (Anne & Mary) came to Terrace Park for their Terrace  Park School reunions in 2007, stopped by and toured the house.  Their father was a Chemical Engineer and worked for DuPont in their film department - cellophane & Mylar.  He was not in WWII since he was considered to be in an essential business.  Both parents were graduates of Iowa Sate.  They met on a blind date in Buffalo.  Delores was a dietician.  The basement room under the back room was built to be Vern's shop.  He built several pieces of furniture including several beds, end tables, book cases etc.  Cherry was his favorite wood (also of the Coles).  The desks and bookcases in the upstairs girl's rooms were his idea.  
Story 3: Several foreigners have lived in this house: from Britain, France, Germany, Finland, Turkey, Tunisia, Costa Rica, Jordan and Norway; many others for short periods of time.
Story 4: Cathi White (formerly at 707 Myrtle-1) reminded us in October of 2005 that the Vaughan family also lived in this house.  They did not own it and their name did not appear in any Terrace Park Directory since they did not live here very long.  When a home is rental property names of residents are often missed.  The Richard Vaughn family were the first renters followed by the Watermans from England, the Cassins from France, the Reynolds (later at 620 Floral), and Jerry & Heather Lewis.    
Story 5:      The kitchen cabinets were definitely custom made, perhaps by  Hume Corwin (733 Indian Hill) since that's the kind of work he did.  (Joanne Kennedy).  However, according to Dick Werner's son, his father, Harry Werner, may have put them in.  They did work together with Walt Gingrich on many houses and probably Dick was the finer finished carpenter. 
     Harry Werner (808 Lexington), put in the hardwood floors as he did in many other Terrace Park homes. 
Story 6: Vern Peterson died in Sun City, AZ, 6 April 1978.  Petersons moved from TP to 10027 Andover Avenue, Sun City AZ 85351.
Story 7: There is a hitching post next to the driveway just outside the garage door.  It stood originally outside the M. D. Greene Lumber Company in Auburn NY.  It was moved from there to Cronk's Half Acre in Wellesley MA and then to Terrace Park.  The M. D. Greene Lumber Co. belonged to Carol Cronk Cole's grandfather, M. D. Greene, so the hitching post played an important role in the everyday activities of an ancestor of owners of this Terrace Park home. 
1959-64 Directories Vernon & Delores Peterson (moved from 601 Myrtle)
1965-66 Direct: ''      (sold to Robert & Anne Hopkins who moved to Germany after 1 year)
1967-68 Direct: Lee & Carol C. Cole (moved from 711 Yale, and to England in August 1967)
1969-70 Direct: Peter & Prudence Waterman - renters
1971-72 Direct: Jean "John" & Chantal Cassin from France - new June 1970 Village Views article December 1970 - renters
1973-74 Direct: Joe & Peg Reynolds (moved to 620 Floral) - renters
1975-76 Direct: Robert & Frances Lewis - renters
1978-2015 Directories: Leland & Carol C. Cole (returned from England in August 1975)