Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photos Click here to see deed index Click here for census
No: 501  Street: Miami Name: Fern House
Family: SOLD Owner Info: Y
Built: 1906  (1938) Sec: 23 Sub: Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City Lot: pt 153
Architect:  Cont/Build: 
#Owners: 9 Original Use: Summer cottage  Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: N Replace: Y
1964 - Harrisons added a family room in the rear.  1970 - Harrisons added a river room where the front door had been.     1976 - Longs replaced the kitchen cabinets.  1978 - Longs removed a wall between two rooms on the west end of the second floor and replaced the fence leaving it natural rather than white as before.
Current OwnerKensington Group LLC Date Fr: 2015 Date To: 
Original Owner: Mary Virginia Fern (from Worz) Date Fr: 1905 Date To: 1921
Owner 1: Ernest E. & Mary H. Finch (just Mary 1938) Date Fr 11921 Date To: 1943
Owner 2: Clara T. Jordan (& John) Date Fr 2: 1943 Date To 1: 1964
Owner 3: King C. & Jane H. Harrison  Date Fr 3: 1964 Date To 2: 1972
Owner 4: David L. & Sue R. Huprich  Date Fr 34: 1972 Date To 3: 1974
Owner 5: Philip C. & M. Whitney R.  Long  Date Fr 51974 Date To 4: 1983
Owner 6: Ann R. Gelke (& Geoffrey)  Date Fr 61983 Date To 5: 1991
Owner 7: Suzanne Sudbrack Kite (& Bill) Date Fr 7: 1991 Date To 6: 2007
Owner 8David & Julia Whitaker Date Fr 82007 Date To 7: 2008
Owner 9:  Makatan Properties LLC Date Fr 92008 Date To 8: 2015
Owner 10 Date Fr 10 Date To 9: 
1975 Owner:  Phillip C. & M. Whitney Long. Pt 153 Sib 3 (150x120)
Description: 2 story wood shingle siding, Dutch Colonial, gambrel roof, overlooking the Little Miami River.  Original roof wood shingle.  4 bedrooms, 2 baths.  "Screen porch/perennial garden/old world details".
Story 1: Previous summer cottage was converted to year 'round home in 1906. (???)  The house was painted off-black when the Jordans bought it in memory of Mary Finch's husband who died in the house -  converted to green ("after a number of re-paintings") by the Jordans. One of the Jordan's house painters was a Fred Huber who reported he had worked in Austria as a house painter with Adolf Hitler (Schikelgruber - his father's mother's name).  Jordans bought the house in 1943 as they had a defense contract and B gas permit so they could drive to Terrace Park.  The air conditioning was designed for the house by John Jordan. At some time the back stair was converted to a kitchen closet.  The original house burned at some time so we don't really know when this one was built.  (John Jordan).  The Jordan children were Jack, Steve, Tom & Mary Ann.  
Story 2: Marianne Jordan Swan was born 2 November 1938 and died 17 August 2003, aged 80 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 2, Niche 45, Cahall Funeral Home. 
Story 3: John Jordan was Mayor of Terrace Park 1960-63.
Story 4: Clara Jordan - president T. P. Garden Club 1960-62
Story 5: This home of Mr. & Mrs. (Clara) John Jordan was on the December 18, 1959 TP Garden Club House Tour, "Holiday Houses in the Park".  This was a Friday, advance tickets were $1 but $1.25 on the day, and the homes were open from 1:30-4 and 7-9 PM.  Refreshments were served at this home. 
1939 Map: Finch
1942 Map: no name
1951/3 Map: John Jordan
1959-60 Directories: John & Clara Jordan
1962-63 Directory: ''      & Mrs. Hugo (Marianne) Swan
1963-64 Directory: ''      (moved to Indian Hill) & Mrs. Hugo (Marianne) Swan
1965-70 Directories: King C. & Jane Harrison (moved from 500 Miami)
1971-72 Directory: ''     (Sold 1972)
1973-74 Directory: David & Sue Huprich (Sold 1974) (moved to 606 Home)
1975-80 Directories: Phillip C. & Whitney Long
1982 Directory: "     (Sold 1983)
1984-91 Directories: Geoffrey & Ann Gelke
1992-2001 Directories: William & Suzanne Kite
2002-03 Directory:  
2004-05 Directory:  
2007-07 Directory:         (Sold 2007)
2008-12 Directories: David Whitaker