Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photo Click here to see deed index
No: 600  Street: Elm Name: Environmental Services and Maintenance Building
Family: Village of Terrace Park  Owner Info: N
Built: 1990 Sec:  Sub:  Lot: 
Architect:  Cont/Build: 
# Owners:  Original Use: Quarry Current Use: Village Maintenance
CHANGES As Built: Y Add To: N Sub From: N Replace: N
Current Owner: Village of Terrace Park Date Fr: 1934 Date To: 
1975 Owner:   
Description: 1 story maintenance building , siding , gable roof. 
Story 1: 1974 - burning permits and condemnations from the Terrace Park Fire Department records.  Opposite the 600 block of Elm - former land fill depression - "learn by burning".  "Large chicken houses relocated and adapted into house-like structure".  Pictures in Village Views.
Story 2: Site of major gravel quarry for the Little Miami Railroad.  Comprises approximately 15 acres.  Today the pit is quite overgrown except for a small area used for dumping leaves and brush.  A small maintenance building is located at the end of the service road. 

Highly significant for its association with the construction of the Little Miami Railroad.  Chartered in 1836, the Little Miami was the second railroad built in Ohio and the first to link Cincinnati with its hinterland.  Research suggests this quarry was first mined in 1854.  The entire village of Terrace Park rests on a major deposit of Wisconsin outwash, hence the substantial gravel supply.  This quarry was instrumental in the laying of ballast on the line between Cincinnati and Xenia. (From "Ohio History Inventory" in TPHS files.) (Ballast is the gravel laid underneath the railroad rails.  Where they took this gravel from is sometimes called a "borrow pit"