Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photo See Denison Avenue for deeds
No: 500  Street: Elm Name: Terrace Park Lumber Co.
Family: Terrace Park Lumber Company Owner Info: N
Built:  Sec: 29 Sub: Corey Lot: 
Architect:  Cont/Build: 
#Owners: 1F Original Use: Lumber Company Current Use: burned down (12 homes on Denison Lane built)
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: N Sub From: Y Replace: N
Burned by the Terrace Park Fire Department for training in May 1986.
Current Owner:           (Denison Lane) Date Fr:  Date To: 
Original Owner: George W. Corey (land  for subdivision) Date Fr: 1873 Date To: 1914
Owner 1: George H. Eveland Date Fr 1: 1914 Date To 1: 1920
Owner 2: Miles F.  & Harry H. Eveland Date Fr 2: 1920 Date To 2: 1932
Owner 3: Terrace Park Lumber Company (see deeds) Date Fr 3: 1932 Date To 3: 
Owner 4: Denison Development Co.  Date Fr 4: 1986 Date To 4: 
Owner 5:  Date Fr 5:  Date To 5: 
1975 Owner:  Terrace Park Lumber Company - Miles F. & Harry H. Eveland
Description: 1 story office building, siding, gable roof. 
Story 1: Information in 2002 from Eliza Brown, daughter of Miles Eveland.  George H. Eveland (father of Miles and Harry) bought Terrace Park Lumber Co. in 1914.  Miles took over the lumber yard in 1915 and ran it until he retired in 1947.  After returning from World War I, Harry went into the business with Miles.  The lumber yard carried coal, building supplies, etc.  The elephants were also brought to their winter quarters from this area going down Park and into the Robinson property.  At that time, there were no homes on Cornell and Wrenwood except for the Robinson property and [only] one or two houses on Wooster Pike.  This railroad siding made it much more convenient to unload coal and lumber supplies nearer to the storage areas.  Later on (late 1950's or early 1960's???) the lumber yard carried oil as people turned to that instead of coal for heat.   Sometime in the 1930's a siding for railroad cars was installed where Denison Lane is now located.     
  Harry's son George came into the lumber yard in 1949 and Clarence, Harry's elder son, also nicknamed "Red", was there since the early 1950's.  Due to failing health "Red" retired from the lumber yard in the middle to late 1960's.  He, his wife, and daughter live at 711 Stanton.  The house had been built by Harry before World War II.  They lived [there] until moving to Cook road in 1962.  George, his wife, and two sons, George Jr. and Thomas, lived at 735 Park until early 1979.  The house was then sold to Lucy and Jerry Maish.  In 1986 the lumber yard was burned by the Terrace Park Voluntary Fire Department and the property was then sold for homes.  The oil business was then moved near Perintown on Route 50 by Tom who has since sold it.  
  In 1938, Miles and Harry bought the property now known as Cornell and Western.  They began building homes but the construction was halted due to the War.  However, a majority of the area had already been developed.  In 1940, what is now Princeton, Franklin, Poplar, and the southwestern side of Stanton were accepted by the Village of Terrace Park.  Each brother took so many lots and either marketed or sold the lots to individuals.  Again, due to World War II only three or four homes were built before ceasing for the duration.  In the 1950's building was back in full swing and today the area is completely filled except for a lot or two.  
Story 2: See Village Views article November 1985 concerning Lumber Company history. The Terrace Park Lumber Company was started in 1914 by George H. Eveland on land he purchased from G. W. Corey who around 1890 had laid it out as a sub-division.  Lumber and coal came by Pennsylvania Railroad.  The sale of fuel oil was introduced in the 1950s.  Lumber and coal sales ceased with the end of railway service to Terrace Park in the 1970s. Other details in the article.
Story 3: Harry Harmon Eveland was born 11 July 1889 and died 20 March 1985, aged 95 years, Craver-Hookom Funeral Home.  Miles F. Eveland was born 2 April 1918 and died 6 July 1984 aged 66 years.  They are both buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Miami Township OH. 
Story 4: In the early days the section of Elm north of the railroad was called Liberty Street and south of the railroad was Newtown Road because it went to Newtown across the Little Miami River.
Story 5: See Village Views article October 1985 on new subdivision proposal.  Detailed plans submitted by Rick Koehler for development of Eveland lumber yard property (12 houses on cul-de-sac with underground utilities).  Path to Wrenwood/Kent to be kept.