Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here to see photo Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 415  Street: Elm Name: Gilliland/Gatch House
Family: Pettit Owner Info: Y
Built: 1890 Sec: 23 Sub: Camden City Lot: 544-552 Pt vac alley Adj Camden City Pr 6. 15-544-545 cons
Architect:  Cont/Build: 
#Owners: 6F? Original Use: Residential Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: Y Replace: N
1944 - screen porch added by Graces. 1968 - screen porch converted to family room by Petits.  1944 - Graces removed 2nd floor screened sleeping porch at rear of house and added large brick patio with wall. The original "wash house" was converted to a "grill house" (see story 3).
2006 - Peggy Pettit sold off the side lot (to the north) to Debra L. & Steven D. Fletcher Tr.  
Current Owner: William R. & Peggy Mae Schulte Pettit Date Fr: 1958 Date Toc: 
Original OwnerTraber? (see deeds) Date Fr:  Date To: 
Owner 1: Gilliland Date Fr 1: 1889? Date To 1: 1906
Owner 2: Lewis N. & Mary (Greeno) Gatch (later estate) Date Fr 2: 1906 Date To 2: 1943
Owner 3: Loren G. Gatch, & Minna & John Gatch Date Fr 3: 1943 Date To 3: 1944
Owner 4: Nancy B. Wallstead ? Date Fr 4: 1944 Date To 4: 1944
Owner 5: Dale & Eloise W. Grace Date Fr 5: 1944 Date To 5: 1956
Owner 6: Paul & Pris Connell Date Fr 6: 1956 Date To 6: 1958
Owner 7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
Owner 8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
Owner 9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
Owner 10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10: 
1975 Owner:  Peggy Mae Pettit. 545-552& pt vac alley Camden City (pars 6 to 15 & 554,545)
Description: 2 1/2 story brick & shingle siding Victorian, gable roof.  Could this be called Eastlake Victorian?  (see Ellis Rawnsley's Village Views Article.  8/1983)
Story 1:      Lewis & Mary Greeno Gatch moved here from 614 Wooster Pike with their 2 children John (father of Ann of 635 Valley View in Terrace Park - earlier 602 Miami) and Loren (later at 104 Miami).  We don't know when they moved to 415 Elm but at least by 1906 or 1911-12 and probably earlier since their boys grew up there.  Since Lewis was a struggling young lawyer Ann Gatch suspects their parents helped them get the house.   
Lewis Gatch died 27 February 1936, C. T. Johnson Funeral Home.  Mary Greeno Gatch, his wife, was born 15 May 1867 and died 19 March 1926, aged 58 years.  Their son John N. Gatch was born 9 January 1893 and died 6 November 1966, aged 73 years, Craver Funeral Home.  They are all buried in Section 10 of Greenlawn Cemetery, Milford OH.  (see 104 Miami for son Loren)
Story 2:      One of the specialties of Lewis Gatch was "real estate law, including helping clients (like Sibley, Pattison & Iuen) create subdivisions that resulted in the development of Terrace Park."  He "drew plat maps as part of his title searches.  He did this work in a large book which contained parchment paper for the clients - and thinner paper (vellum) that remained in the book" - a permanent record of subdivision plats.  (from The Lewis Gatch Family of Ohio)
     A story from Lew Gatch (Lewis Gatch's grandson) in 2010 says that someone (it must have been one of the Evelands) wanted to develop an area  in Terrace Park and Lewis said he'd do the paperwork for free if he would be allowed to name the street in the area.  Lewis was a loyal Princeton graduate so he named the street Princeton since there were already many streets named after Universities but  not one named for Princeton. 
Story 3: 1944 - The original "wash house" where laundry was done was converted to a "grill house" and abutted to the patio.  It contains a wonderful grill, hood, exhaust fan and cabinets for storage.  It has a work top for food preparation or display and storage under that (originally for wood logs, converted to gas by Pettits).  Originally there was a "well" on the site of the patio.  Since laundry water still empties into the "old well", the area is "hot" from detergent.  When it snows the snow melts over the "old well" site.   Originally the house had a slate roof.
Story 4: 1911-12 Directory : Lewis Gatch - attorney, John & Loren Gatch, university students (at Princeton) 
Story 5: An oral history of Mike Grace is available at the TPHS archives.  
Story 6: Paul & Pris Connell 1956-1958: built and moved to 114 Red Bird, renting 415 Elm to Stu Proctor's parents when they moved back to Terrace Park from Milford (see 701 Miami).
Story 7: After buying the house, the Pettits rented to Dick & Sally Eggleston as their new house wasn't built yet and the Pettits couldn't sell their Wyoming OH house as soon as they wanted.
Story 8: 2006 - Peg Pettit sold side lot to Fletcher to build 413 Elm.  Peggy Mae Pettit was born 4 March 1929 and died 28 October 2010, Craver Riggs Funeral Home, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium.  Memorial Service St. Thomas Church, 6 December 2010.
Story 9: William "Bill" R. Pettit was born 26 April 1916 and died 22 December 2000, aged 84 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 5, Niche 136, Evans Funeral Home. 
1939 Map: Galloway (rented from Gatch owners?)
1942 Map: Galloway (rented from Gatch owners?)
1951/3 Map: Dale Grace (newspaper photo during Grace residency)
1959 Directory: Dick & Sally Eggleston (renters) (moved to 625 Valley View)
1960 Directory: William & Peggy Pettit
1962-2001 Directories: ''
2002-03 Direct: Mrs. William (Peggy) Pettit
2004-07 Direct:      (Side lot sold 2006 to build 413 Elm)
2008-09 Direct: "
2010-11 Direct: