Terrace Park, Ohio Building Survey

Click here for photos Click here to see deed index Click here to see census
No: 203  Street: Cambridge Name: Meyers House
Family: Govert Plaque: 2008 Owner Info: N
Built: 1905/6 Sec: 23 Sub: Pattison & Iuen Lot: 21 & 22
Architect:  Cont/Build: Fred Strathman & Sons Builders
#Owners: 4F + church Original Use: Residential Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N Add To: Y Sub From: Y Replace: N
From early and later pictures we see there were additions (at least to the side) and subtractions (front porch removed).  1994 Permit to Jerry & Diane Govert for a family room, master bath, mud room and remodeling (Architects +; C. Keffer, construction).
Current Owner: Jerry A. & Diane L. Govert Date Fr: 1987 Date To: 
Original Owner: Blanche Bacon Meyers  (wife of Charles A. Meyers) (a Bacon from the New Street Bacon family  - see 209 Cambridge, next door) Date Fr: 1905 Date To: 1944
Owner 1: Charles A. Meyers (husband of Blanche) Date Fr 1: 1944 Date To 1: 1952
Owner 2: Janet Meyers McGee (a daughter of Charles) Date Fr 2: 1952 Date To 2: 1952
Owner 3: St. Thomas Church, Rector, Wardens, Vestry Date Fr 3: 1952 Date To 3: 1979
Owner 4: Rev. Robert D. & Ernestine Gerhard  Date Fr 4: 1979 Date To 4: 1984
Owner 5: David C. & Mary Judith Knauer Date Fr 5: 1984 Date To 5: 1987
Owner 6:  Date Fr 6:  Date To 6: 
Owner 7:  Date Fr 7:  Date To 7: 
Owner 8:  Date Fr 8:  Date To 8: 
Owner 9:  Date Fr 9:  Date To 9: 
Owner 10:  Date Fr 10:  Date To 10: 
1975 Owner:  St. Thomas Church - Rector & Wardens. 21-22 PI
Description: 2 1/2 stories, siding, hip roof with dormers. 
Story 1: 1911-12 Directory, corner of Miami and Cambridge: Charles A. Meyer Jr. (Blanche B.) - insurance.  "A Brief History of Building Campaigns at St. Thomas Episcopal Church"  contains a picture of the Montauk church decorated for the marriage of Charles A. Meyers and Blanche A. Bacon on June 4, 1899.  The picture of their house in the file is probably as it was built - only small trees in the yard. 
Story 2: Meyers house, "manse", was left to St. Thomas Church when "old Mr. Meyers" died (in his will).  (Blanche died earlier, but after 1930 census - 1944?.)   His daughter Janet lived there awhile.   It was used as the rectory for Clarke and Gerhard, then sold to Gerhard.
Story 3: "Mrs. C. A. Meyers is making a short visit this week with friends in Springfield, Ohio.  Miss Janet Meyers returned this week from a very delightful visit with her friend Miss Peggy Nelson, Atlantic City."  From the Milford Record, May 13, 1926.  Found in the attic of 429 Elm Avenue by David Lewis.  
Story 4: Dorothy and Janet Meyers grew up here.  Dorothy married Eppa Rixey.  Janet's 1st husband was Larry Gessing.  2nd was McGee, a World War I pilot (flew under the Milford bridge).  Janet's 3rd husband was Bill Hopple.  
Story 5: Rev. Canon Kenneth E. Clarke was born 26 October 1922 and died 19 December 2003, aged 81 years, Schafer-Busby Funeral Home.  Amelia Ashton Clarke was born 25 May 1924 and died 14 February 1985, aged 60 years.  Both are buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 7, Niche 197.  Ken remarried after Amelia's death. 
1939 Map: Meyers
1942 Map: Meyers
1951/3 Map: Mrs. Harry W. McGee (nee Janet Meyers)
1959 Directory: Mrs. Harry W. McGee
1960 Directory:  
1962-68 Directories: The Rev. Kenneth & Amelia Clarke
1969-70 Direct: Rev. Robert & Ernestine Gerhard
1971-82 Directories: ''      (moved to 221 Miami Avenue)
1984-86 Directories: David & Judy Knauer
1988-2012 Directories: Jerry & Diane Govert