|Click here for photo||Click here for deed index|
|No: 619||Street: Amherst||Name:|
|Family:||Owner Info: Y|
|Built: 1952||Sec: 23||Sub: Sibley's 4th||Lot: 1-4|
|#Owners: 9||Original Use: Commercial (earlier store)||
Current Use: Residential
|CHANGES||As Built: N||Add To: Y||Sub From: N||Replace: Y|
|1965 - Braggs added a bedroom and bath. 1967 - Braggs put on a new roof (Franklin Laugel, contractor). 1981 - Richard McCormick added a family room and deck (Norval Julnes). 1998/9 - Jack Myslik added a screened porch in back and a small portico over the front door (also lots of updates indoors).|
|Current Owner:||Date Fr: 2014||Date To:|
|Original Owner: Matthew W. & Mary L. Meldon (fr TPB&L)||Date Fr : 1952||Date To: 1965|
|Owner 1: William J. Jr. & Lynn P. Bragg||Date Fr 1:1965||Date To 1: 1969|
|Owner 2: Charles J. Jr. & Patricia M. Goetz||Date Fr 2:1969||Date To 2: 1973|
|Owner 3: Richard E. & Linda L. McCormick||Date Fr 3: 1973||Date To 3: 1983|
|Owner 4: Employee Transfer Corp||Date Fr 4: 1983||Date To 4: 1983|
|Owner 5: Joe Herbert & Candace Kay Smeltzer (see below)||Date Fr 5: 1983||Date To 5: 1986|
|Owner 6: John R. Fletcher TR, Mariemont Community Church||Date Fr 6: 1986||Date To 6: 1986|
|Owner 7: Paul F. & Esther H. M. Power||Date Fr 7: 1986||Date To 7: 1997|
|Owner 8: John L. & K. Diane Myslik||Date Fr 8: 1997||Date To 8: 2003|
|Owner 9: Lori Shafer||Date Fr 9: 2003||Date To 9: 2009|
|Owner 10: Wells Fargo Bank National Association||Date Fr 10: 2009||Date To 10: 2010|
|Owner 11: Don Gerred||Date Fr 11: 2010||Date To 11: 2014|
|Owner 12:||Date Fr 12:||Date To 12:|
|1975 Owner:||Richard E. & Linda L. McCormick. 1-2-3-4 Sib 4|
|Description:||1 story brick ranch, gable roof. 7 rooms (living & dining rooms, kitchen, family room, 3 bedrooms - also laundry room and screen porch). Block foundation. Landscaping by Danny McKeown.|
|Story 1:|| H. Beck's store was on this corner at the turn of the century. A
cellar hole remained on the site for a number of years following a fire. Council
pressured the landlord to fence the hole as it was a hazard to children passing by on
their way to school.
From the deeds we know that H. M. Beck made his purchase from James W. Sibley for a store on the 19th of August 1891. He sold it to Frznziska Tillner in 1897. It was sold to Elizabth Krusling in 1909. She held the land until 1927 when it was sold to the Terrace Park Building and Loan. When the fire occurred and the original store building was torn down is not know at this time.
|1897 resident: H. M. Beck (grocery). 1911-12 Directory: Eugene Conklin - confectioner.|
|All this was before the present house was built.|
|Story 2:||Mat Meldon was a Cincinnati detective and known as quite a "dresser". He was the 1st owner of the present house.|
|Story 3:||Joe E. Smeltzer was assistant minister at the Mariemont Community Church. The deeds show that the Smeltzers owned the house but after them the church owned it and others rented it.|
|Story 4:||There are deeds relating to this house in the Building Survey file in the T. P. Historical Society archives. There is also information concerning the vacating of an alley, which ran from Amherst S to the end of Sibley's 4th subdivision. 15 ft. - by ordinance 6, 1949.|
|Story 5:||Information about Esther E. M. Power written by Carol
Cronk Cole for the Tracker Fall 2007.
Perhaps Esther Power is best known in Terrace Park because she was the volunteer archivist for the Village for seven years from October 1990 to 1997. During that time she organized all the records that had been in disarray for some time in the cellar of the Community House. She also was a great help to all those who worked on the Terrace Park Centennial in 1993 and mounted a special exhibition for that occasion. Now she works with the Terrace Park Historical Society both by helping to reorganize some of the records she already organized once and also by writing thoroughly researched articles.
Esther came by her interest in local history quite naturally. She was born into a Chester County, Pennsylvania family with roots there going back to the late 1600s and early 1700s. Thus she was surrounded by Colonial and Revolutionary War history from the beginning. After graduating from Swarthmore College, she lived in several different states where she continued her interest in the local history of wherever she was living. She has spent many summers in Vermont, another area with a lot of early history. In a May 1993 Eastern Hills Journal article, Esther is quoted as saying, "I've always had an interest in local history - the land, who owns it, how it came to be. I think it's rewarding to be able to retain a sense of history." That very clearly remains one of her main concerns today!
She came to the Cincinnati area in 1961 when her husband, Paul, joined the faculty at the University of Cincinnati. They lived first in Hyde Park but moved to 619 Amherst Avenue in Terrace Park in 1986. She is a faithful contributing member of the Natural History Museum and has worked with them over 20 years in their Archaeology Department and has taken part in several digs. She has had several pieces published on antiques and collectibles in The Antique Trader and other publications. Esther was an indispensable research assistant to Ellis Rawnsley in writing his book A Place Called Terrace Park.
As a member of the Terrace Park Woman's Club she worked on the Building Survey, which is now on the Internet (www.tpsurvey.org) and helped with several exhibitions in connection with that survey. Hoping that there might one day be a Terrace Park Historical Society, she collected a great deal of material pertaining to Terrace Park, some of which is already on the Internet and is soon to be published in book form - Terrace Park from Unsettled Lands to Incorporation 1789-1893. Esther is continually doing thoroughly documented research on topics of interest, especially concerning Terrace Park.
|1959-60 Directories:||Matthew & Mary Meldon 617 Amherst|
|1962-66 Directories||Matthew & Mary Meldon 619 Amherst|
|1967-68 Direct:||Spike & Lin Bragg|
|1969-72 Directories:||Charles & Pam Goetz (1969 from New Jersey)|
|1973-76 Directories:||Richard "Dick" & Linda McCormick|
|1978-80 Directories:||Harold J. & Jetta Lou Lewis|
|1982 Directory:||Richard & Linda McCormick (Sold 1983)|
|1984 Directory:||Joe E. & Candace Smeltzer|
|1986 Directory:||Clare & Margaret Allen - renters from church|
|1988-97 Directories:||Paul & Esther Power (bought from Mariemont Church)|
|1998-2001 Directories:||Jack & Diane Myslik|
|2002-03 Direct:||" (Sold 2003)|
|2004-05 Direct:||Charlie & Lori Shafer|
|2006-09 Directories:||" (Sold 2010)|
|2011-12 Directory:||Don & Lori Gerred|