(Information from Robert Achor, grandson of Gustave A. Worz. See Worz file for more information.)
1. This camp was built by Gustave A. Worz on the river front on the end of
the lot furthest from St. Thomas Church. Probably Winona Canoe Club was
next to Avalon Camp and there probably were two more in addition to the house
built for Edgar Friedlander on the river front (#3 Oxford).
2. The cook shown here at Avalon Camp is actually Gustave A. Worz'
handyman, Charles, dressed for a cookout.
4. This group picture was taken about 1889 about the time Gus Worz
built the house on Wooster Pike (Tencon) where his grandson Robert Achor was
raised. The picture was taken at the intersection of the Little Miami and
East Fork Rivers, the property which is now owned by the Terrace Park Country
Club. The white cottage is one Gus Worz built as a summer camp for the
Worz family consisting of himself and his half brother, Joe Worz, a
Milford blacksmith. Gus Worz apparently leased this property for several
years and the cabin was washed away in the 1913 flood. Gus
Worz is the one seated at the left with his feet in the water. In contrast
his half brother (just right of center) was very formal and even on Sunday
afternoon at the camp was dressed in a black frock coat and black bow tie.
His two daughters dressed in white are directly behind him. Gus' daughter
Eva Helen Worz Achor always spoke of this place as "Breezy
Point". Before the cabin was built they had two huge, white pyramid
tents on the site.