409 Terrace Place

General Information

No: 409
Street: Terrace Place
Name: N
Family: Miller leased to U. S. Post Office
Historic Plaque: N

Owner Info: Y
Built: 1953
Sec: 23
Sub: Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City
Lot: 111
Architect: Post Office Department of the US
Cont/Build: Walter Gingrich

Description: 1 story brick and siding building with gable roof, built as specified by the Post Office Department to be leased by them.
Original Use: Commercial - Post Office
Current Use: Commercial

Add To: N
Sub From: N
Replace: N

Changes Details:


Current Owner: Dale L. Miller
Curr Date Fr: 1983
Curr Date To:

Original Owner: Effie R. Miller
Date Fr: 1952
Date To: 1983

1975 Owner: Effie R. Miller. Ir 111 Sib 1 (listed at 407)


Story 1 : The present post office was built in 1953 on an empty lot purchased by Stan Miller in 1952 from Stella C. Cole. Walt Gingrich built the post office to Post Office Department specifications and Effie Miller still held the lease to the postal service in 2000.Until 1971 the U. S. Postal Service did not exist. It is a private corporation with authority from Congress to transport the U. S. mail. Previously and since the inception of the United States of America, there was the Post Office Department, an arm of the federal government Our Post Office was built after talks with the Post Office Department (clarification by Lee Stegemeyer). According to Stan Miller (Effie's husband) the first Post Office was in the grocery store (corner of Terrace Place and Harvard). The 2nd was in a small building on what became the Village Green. The third was in a building now torn down (411-1 Terrace Place, Gegner, Droescher) from 1925 to 1953 when the present Post Office was built. See Story 2 411-1 for a slightly different beginning to the story.
Story 2 : There seems to be a controversy about when home delivery of mail started in Terrace Park. There's an interesting and informative article in The Milford Advertiser, Thursday February 4, 1960.
Story 3 : Paul Wise, clerk in the Post Office, was found dead on Marian Lane delivering mail, March 4, 1976.


1975-76 Direct:
(no listings before 1978)

1978-2012 Directories:
U. S. Post Office