302 Oxford Avenue

General Information

No: 302
Street: Oxford
Name: Louis Breiling House
Family: Hodges
Historic Plaque: N

Owner Info: N
Built: 1886
Sec: 23
Sub: Pattison & Iuen
Lot: 5-6-7

Description: 2 story, stucco Victorian, gable roof. Breiling House - Helen Christopher Barnett's maternal grandfather
Original Use: Residential
Current Use: Residential

Add To: Y
Sub From:
Replace: 1969 - John Hodges added 21'3 x 32' to the rear of the home for a family room, 2 bed rooms and a bath.

Changes Details:


Current Owner: John & Margaret Hodges
Curr Date Fr: 1961
Curr Date To:

Original Owner: Louis & Ida Rauscher R. Breiling
Date Fr: 1886
Date To: 1958

Owner 1: Amy F. Breiling
Date Fr 1: 1958
Date To 1: 1959

Owner 2: Durward C. & Helen Hughes
Date Fr 2: 1959
Date To 2: 1961

1975 Owner: John W. & Margaret S. Hodges. 5-6-7 PI


Story 1 : Louis Breiling was Mayor of Terrace Park 1898-01.
Story 2 : Mrs. Louis (Ida) Breiling wrote a paper (in the file) for the Terrace Park Woman's Club mentioning some of these early houses. She says 5 were built in 1886. In 1886 Louis and Ida Mary Breiling (both 1st generation immigrants from Germany) moved to 302 Oxford Avenue. Their daughter Pearl was born in that home one year later (1887) (see 215 Oxford). This part of the Breiling family pronounced their name Breeling rather than the German Breiling - long i sound - as did the Breilings in Kentucky. Evidently the Union Central Life Insurance Co. for whom Louis Breiling worked all his working life (VP in the end) made this change in pronunciation perhaps during the First World War.
Story 3 : Breilings originally owned land now at 308 & 314 Oxford.
Story 4 : John William Buzz Hodges was born 14 June 1933 in Martinsville IN and died 17 September 2015 in Montgomery OH, Craver-Riggs Funeral Home, Burial in the St. Thomas Columbarium.


1939 Map:

1942 Map:

1951/3 Map:
Louis Breiling

1959 Directory:
Amy F. Breiling (unmarried daughter of Louis & Ida R. Breiling)

1960 Directory:
Durward & Helen Hughes (owners of Terrace Park Market)

1962-2012 Directories:
John & Margaret Hodges