602 Miami Avenue


General Information

No: 602
Street: Miami
Name: Dr. O. T. Robertson House
Family: Holmes
Historic Plaque: N

Owner Info: Y
Built: N
Sec: 23
Sub: Sibley's 3rd BL 17
Lot: pt 57-64
Architect:
Cont/Build: not known

Description: 2 story Dutch Colonial frame structure with wood and cedar siding, gambrel roof. Stone fireplace, front porch and foundation. Stained glass windows. Greatly enlarged in 1998.
Original Use: Residential & Dental Office
Current Use: Residential

CHANGES As Built: N
Add To: Y
Sub From: N
Replace: N

Changes Details: 1967 - remodeled kitchen and bath (James C. Rogers, contractor). 1978 - Ann Gatch removed the old kitchen on the 2nd floor. 1998 - very extensive remodeling and a large addition for Mike Theye (Arcanum, architect; Fletcher, contractor).


Owners:


Current Owner: Stephen S. & Christine E. Holmes
Curr Date Fr: 2004
Curr Date To:

Original Owner: Dr. & Mrs. O. T. Robertson (dentist)
Date Fr: 1910
Date To: 1959

Owner 1: Altha G. Robertson
Date Fr 1: 1959
Date To 1: 1967

Owner 2: Orpha Ann Gatch
Date Fr 2: 1967
Date To 2: 1986/7

Owner 3: James E. & Kristine E. Greiner
Date Fr 3: 1986/7
Date To 3: 1998

Owner 4: Michael D. & Tanni M. Theye
Date Fr 4: 1998
Date To 4: 2004

Owner 6:

1975 Owner: Orpha Ann Gatch. Pt 57, 58 - 63, ir 64, ir pt 51, ir pt 49 Sib 3


Stories

Story 1 : This house was built circa 1903. The deeds show that Oliver T. Robertson bought lots 60-64 of Sibley's 3rd subdivision in December of 1903 from Lizzie Toph. Those are the lots on which the actual house was built. Lots 58, 59 & pt 57 were added in 1919. He designed the house for his home and dental office, which had a separate entrance on Amherst. Katherine Rebecca West McComb was the niece of Dr. Robertson (he married Katherine's aunt). In her oral history she states that Oliver Taylor Robertson and his wife Katherine West Robertson built their home on the corner of Amherst and Miami in 1903. Ann Gatch, who knew the Robertsons well from childhood on and later owned the house, concurs with this date. Dr. Robertson's 1st wife became an invalid. His 2nd wife, Altha, had been a nurse to the 1st. The house was made into a 2 family house after the doctor's death. The dental office was made into Altha's bedroom and bath. The upstairs bath and kitchen were added at that time.
Story 2 : In the 1910 census Oliver Robertson was 38 (born circa 1872)and his wife, Katherine, was 36. They'd been married 14 years (married circa 1896). Thus they could not have planned, built and moved to 602 Miami in 1893. They were still living at 602 Miami Avenue in the 1930 census, 20 years older.
Story 3 : Ann Gatch bought from Altha who then rented the upstairs from Ann. Later Sandy (Paul Pschesang's dental hygienist) and Jack Anderson rented the upstairs.Other renters according to Pat Fehl were Tom & Nancy Bachmann & Admiral Huddleston. Ann Gatch converted the home back to a 1 family house and then sold to the Greiners.
Story 4 : See Baxter (603 Home). Dr. Robertson was Jack Baxter's great uncle. He served as mayor of Terrace Park 1912-15.
Story 5 : Dr. Robertson was Ann Gatch's dentist in the 1920s and 1930s, a middle aged man, not elderly (Ann Gatch).
Story 6 : Florence Gooder Gerard (see 725 Yale) (Florence died in 1978) (Mrs. Stephen Gerard) with her daughters Nancy Gerard (Ricketts) & Mary Gerard (Cone) rented the upstairs (see 1942 & 1952/3 maps. Nancy 1st married Dick Herschberger, son of Harry & Inez Herschberger & later Ricketts.
Story 7 : Mary Turpin Gerard and her sister, Nancy, were campers at Chippawa Trails summer camp, on Elk Lake MI. Their mother was there too and eventually became assistant director.
Story 8 : 1911-12 Directory at Miami & Amherst: Oliver T. Robertson (602 Miami) - dentist; also John Scudder (Alice) (504-1 Miami) - physician & Paul Scudder (Bertha) (505 Miami) - dentist.


Directories:

1939 Map:
Robertson

1942 Map:
Mrs. Stephen Gerard & O. T. Robertson DDS

1951/3 Map:
Mrs. Stephen Gerard & O. T. Robertson DDS

1959 Directory:
Mrs. John D. Serena

1960 Directory:
'' & Mrs. O. T. Robertson

1962-63 Direct:
Mrs. O. T. Robertson & Thomas Nancy Bachmann (renters)

1963-64 Direct:
'' ''

1965-66 Direct:
'' & Jess & Claire Burcham & Mrs. John D. Serena

1967-68 Direct:
Ann Gatch & Mrs. O. T. Robertson

1969-72 Directories:
'' ''

1973-74 Direct:
Ann Gatch & John R. & Sandy Anderson

1975-76 Direct:
'' ''

1978-84 Directories:
Ann Gatch

1986 Directory:
---- (Sold 1987)

1988-95 Directories:
Jim & Kris Greiner (moved from 315 Miami)

1996-97 Direct:
'' (moved to 900 Wooster)

1998-2001 Directories:
Mike & Tanni Theye (Sold 1998)

2002-03 Direct:
(moved to 902-2 Miami)

2004-05 Direct:
(Stephen Holmes moved from 218 Oxford & Christy Kaesarfrom 99 Michigan)(Sold 2004)

2006-12 Directories:
Stephen & Christy Holmes, Albrecht children