505 Miami Avenue
Name: Paul Scudder
Historic Plaque: N
Owner Info: N
Sub: Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City
Lot: Pt 153
Description: 2 story stucco & siding, gable roof.
Original Use: Residential
Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N
Add To: Y
Changes Details: or Rooster House ? 1962 - alteration by Bruce Forster. 1963 - carport by Bruce Forster). 1989 - large unspecified addition by the Linette Bolinger to the north of the original house. 2008 - permit for Dave Troller - Apex Reconstruction - kitchen alterations after fire.
Current Owner: David E. & Susan Ferrell Troller
Curr Date Fr: 2004
Curr Date To:
Original Owner: Dr. R. Paul Scudder
Date Fr: 1903
Date To: 1913
Owner 1: Oscar D. & M. E. Coldeway
Date Fr 1 : 1913
Date To 1: 1920
Owner 2: Aline H. & Joseph Garretson Sr. (Jr. in 1938)
Date Fr 2: 1920
Date To 2: 1942
Owner 3: Walter H. & Kathryn Daw
Date Fr 3: 1942
Date To 3: 1962
Owner 4: Bruce M. & Mary T. Forster
Date Fr 4: 1962
Date To 4: 1966
Owner 5: William Carter & Elizabeth Betty Henry Jones
Date Fr 5: 1966
Date To 5: 1968
Owner 6: William & Carla R. Sprague
Date Fr 6: 1968
Date To 6: 1973
Owner 7: Raymond L. & F. Eileen Burklow
Date Fr 7: 1973
Date To 7: 1981
Owner 8: Anthony Russell Woodward
Date Fr 8: 1981
Date To 8: 1989
Owner 9: Linette L. Bolinger
Date Fr 9: 1989
Date To 9: 2004
1975 Owner: Raymond L. & F. Eileen Burklow. Pt 153 Sib 3 (50x180 & 100x120)
Story 1 : On a descriptive page concerning 505 Miami it states the house was built in 1910. It may have been built as early as 1905 since R. Paul Scudder bought from Gustav A. Worz in 1903 & 1904. (See pictures of the Dr. Paul Scudder house in 1911 and 1913.) He sold it to Oscar J. Coldeway in September 1913, the month after the picture was taken. Coldeway sold to Joseph Garetson in August 1920. It was originally a 1 story house. It's not known when the 2nd story was added.R. Paul Scudder also owned 408 Marietta from 1919-22.
Story 2 : Originally built as a one story house but not by Joe Garretson Sr. who was a Cincinnati Enquirer columnist. Stones from the Little Miami were used in the front garden wall and in the fireplace. English gardens once surrounded the house and a terraced lawn was on the river side.
Story 3 : ? P. Garretson listed this as his address when he signed the Initiative Petition for Terrace Park Recreation Club in July 1940. Story 4 Owner Walter H. Daw was Mayor of Terrace Park 1952-55. Rumor has it that people used to come from far and wide to buy eggs at the Rooster House.
Story 5 : The Bollinger home was on the 1992 Sunday December 6 An Historic Walk Through Terrace Park TP Garden Club House Tour . Homes were open from 1-5 PM. Proceeds were used for village beautification.
Story 6 : According to Bill Hogan in the 1920s or early 30s this house was lived in by Kathleen Jones, sister of Mary Finch, next door at 505 Miami. Was it a one story house at the time?
Story 7 : Tony Woodward was a surveyor and worked with Lee Nordloh for several years, surveying both in Terrace Park and elsewhere.
Story 8 : There was a fire in the house in 2008 after which the Trollers had to move next door (501 Miami) until repairs were made.
W. H. Daw
W. H. & Kathryn Daw
Bruce & Mary Forster
Carter Buck & Betty Jones
William & Carla Sprague
Ray & Eileen Burklow (moved from Milford)
'' (Sold 1989)
Linette L. Bollinger
(Troller moved from 615 Amherst) (Sold 2004)
David & Susan Troller