501 Miami Avenue


General Information

No: 501
Street: Miami
Name: Fern House
Family: SOLD
Historic Plaque: N

Owner Info: Y
Built: N
Sec: 23
Sub: Sibley's Lots 3 & 4 of Camden City
Lot: pt 153
Architect:
Cont/Build:

Description: 2 story wood shingle siding, Dutch Colonial, gambrel roof, overlooking the Little Miami River. Original roof wood shingle. 4 bedrooms, 2 baths. Screen porch/perennial garden/old world details.
Original Use: Summer cottage
Current Use: Residential

CHANGES As Built: N
Add To: Y
Sub From: N
Replace: Y

Changes Details: 1964 - Harrisons added a family room in the rear. 1970 - Harrisons added a river room where the front door had been. 1976 - Longs replaced the kitchen cabinets. 1978 - Longs removed a wall between two rooms on the west end of the second floor and replaced the fence leaving it natural rather than white as before.


Owners:


Current Owner: Kensington Group LLC
Curr Date Fr: 2015
Curr Date To:

Original Owner: Mary Virginia Fern (from Worz)
Date Fr: 1905
Date To: 1921

Owner 1: Ernest E. & Mary H. Finch (just Mary 1938)
Date Fr 1: 1921
Date To: 1943

Owner 2: Clara T. Jordan(& John)
Date Fr 2: 1943
Date To 1: 1964

Owner 3: King C. & Jane H. Harrison
Date Fr 3: 1964
Date To 2: 1972

Owner 4: David L. & Sue R. Huprich
Date Fr 34: 1972
Date To 3: 1974

Owner 5: Philip C. & M. Whitney R. Long
Date Fr 5: 1974
Date To 4: 1983

Owner 6: Ann R. Gelke (& Geoffrey)
Date Fr 6: 1983
Date To 5: 1991

Owner 7: Suzanne Sudbrack Kite (& Bill)
Date Fr 7: 1991
Date To 6: 2007

Owner 8: David & Julia Whitaker
Date Fr 8: 2007
Date To 7: 2008

Owner 9: Makatan Properties LLC
Date Fr 9: 2008
Date To 8: 2015

1975 Owner: Phillip C. & M. Whitney Long. Pt 153 Sib 3 (150x120)


Stories

Story 1 : Previous summer cottage was converted to year 'round home in 1906. (???) The house was painted off-black when the Jordans bought it in memory of Mary Finch's husband who died in the house - converted to green (after a number of re-paintings) by the Jordans. One of the Jordan's house painters was a Fred Huberwho reported he had worked in Austria as a house painter with Adolf Hitler (Schikelgruber - his father's mother's name). Jordans bought the house in 1943 as they had a defense contract and B gas permit so they could drive to Terrace Park. The air conditioning was designed for the house by John Jordan. At some time the back stair was converted to a kitchen closet. The original house burned at some time so we don't really know when this one was built. (John Jordan). The Jordan children were Jack, Steve, Tom & Mary Ann.
Story 2 : Marianne Jordan Swan was born 2 November 1938 and died 17 August 2003, aged 80 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 2, Niche 45, Cahall Funeral Home.
Story 3 : John Jordan was Mayor of Terrace Park 1960-63.
Story 4 : Clara Jordan - president T. P. Garden Club 1960-62
Story 5 : This home of Mr. & Mrs. (Clara) John Jordan was on the December 18, 1959 TP Garden Club House Tour, Holiday Houses in the Park. This was a Friday, advance tickets were $1 but $1.25 on the day, and the homes were open from 1:30-4 and 7-9 PM. Refreshments were served at this home.


Directories:

1939 Map:
Finch

1942 Map:
no name

1951/3 Map:
John Jordan

1959-60 Directories:
John & Clara Jordan

1962-63 Directory:
'' & Mrs. Hugo (Marianne) Swan

1963-64 Directory:
'' (moved to Indian Hill) & Mrs. Hugo (Marianne) Swan

1965-70 Directories:
King C. & Jane Harrison (moved from 500 Miami)

1971-72 Directory:
'' (Sold 1972)

1973-74 Directory:
David & Sue Huprich (Sold 1974) (moved to 606 Home)

1975-80 Directories:
Phillip C. & Whitney Long

1982 Directory:
(Sold 1983)

1984-91 Directories:
Geoffrey & Ann Gelke

1992-2001 Directories:
William & Suzanne Kite

2007-07 Directory:
(Sold 2007)

2008-12 Directories:
David Whitaker