619 Amherst Avenue


General Information

No: 619
Street: Amherst
Name: N
Family:
Historic Plaque: N

Owner Info: Y
Built: 1952
Sec: 23
Sub: Sibley's 4th
Lot: 1-4
Architect:
Cont/Build:

Description: 1 story brick ranch, gable roof. 7 rooms (living & dining rooms, kitchen, family room, 3 bedrooms - also laundry room and screen porch). Block foundation. Landscaping by Danny McKeown.
Original Use: Commercial (earlier store)
Current Use: Residential

CHANGES As Built: N
Add To: Y
Sub From: N
Replace: Y

Changes Details: 1965 - Braggs added a bedroom and bath. 1967 - Braggs put on a new roof (Franklin Laugel, contractor). 1981 - Richard McCormick added a family room and deck (Norval Julnes). 1998/9 - Jack Myslik added a screened porch in back and a small portico over the front door (also lots of updates indoors).


Owners:


Current Owner:
Curr Date Fr: 2014
Curr Date To:

Original Owner: Matthew W. & Mary L. Meldon (fr TPB&L)
Date Fr: 1952
Date To: 1965

Owner 1: William J. Jr. & Lynn P. Bragg
Date Fr 1: 1965
Date To 1: 1969

Owner 2: Charles J. Jr. & Patricia M. Goetz
Date Fr 2: 1969
Date To 2: 1973

Owner 3: Richard E. & Linda L. McCormick
Date Fr 3: 1973
Date To 3: 1983

Owner 4: Employee Transfer Corp
Date Fr 4: 1983
Date To 4: 1983

Owner 5: Joe Herbert & Candace Kay Smeltzer (see below)
Date Fr 5: 1983
Date To 5: 1986

Owner 6: John R. Fletcher TR
Date Fr 6: 1986
Date To 6: 1986

Owner 7: Paul F. & Esther H. M. Power
Date Fr 7: 1986
Date To 7: 1997

Owner 8: John L. & K. Diane Myslik
Date Fr 8: 1997
Date To 8: 2003

Owner 9: Lori Shafer
Date Fr 9: 2003
Date To 9: 2009

Owner 10: Wells Fargo Bank National Association
Date Fr 10: 2009
Date To 10: 2010

Owner 11: Don Gerred
Date Fr 11: 2010
Date To 11: 2014

1975 Owner: Richard E. & Linda L. McCormick. 1-2-3-4 Sib 4


Stories

Story 1 : H. Beck's store was on this corner at the turn of the century. A cellar hole remained on the site for a number of years following a fire. Council pressured the landlord to fence the hole as it was a hazard to children passing by on their way to school. From the deeds we know that H. M. Beck made his purchase from James W. Sibley for a store on the 19th of August 1891. He sold it to Frznziska Tillner in 1897. It was sold to Elizabth Krusling in 1909. She held the land until 1927 when it was sold to the Terrace Park Building and Loan. When the fire occurred and the original store building was torn down is not know at this time.
Story 2 : Mat Meldon was a Cincinnati detective and known as quite a dresser. He was the 1st owner of the present house.
Story 3 : Joe E. Smeltzer was assistant minister at the Mariemont Community Church. The deeds show that the Smeltzers owned the house but after them the church owned it and others rented it.
Story 4 : There are deeds relating to this house in the Building Survey file in the T. P. Historical Society archives. There is also information concerning the vacating of an alley, which ran from Amherst S to the end of Sibley's 4th subdivision. 15 ft. - by ordinance 6, 1949.
Story 5 : Information about Esther E. M. Power written by Carol Cronk Cole for the Tracker Fall 2007.


Directories:

Perhaps Esther Power is best known in Terrace Park because she was the volunteer archivist for the Village for seven years from October 1990 to 1997. During that time she organized all the records that had been in disarray for some time in the cellar of the Community House. She also was a great help to all those who worked on the Terrace Park Centennial in 1993 and mounted a special exhibition for that occasion. Now she works with the Terrace Park Historical Society both by helping to reorganize some of the records she already organized once and also by writing thoroughly researched articles. Esther came by her interest in local history quite naturally. She was born into a Chester County, Pennsylvania family with roots there going back to the late 1600s and early 1700s. Thus she was surrounded by Colonial and Revolutionary War history from the beginning. After graduating from Swarthmore College, she lived in several different states where she continued her interest in the local history of wherever she was living. She has spent many summers in Vermont, another area with a lot of early history. In a May 1993 Eastern Hills Journal article, Esther is quoted as saying, I've always had an interest in local history - the land, who owns it, how it came to be. I think it's rewarding to be able to retain a sense of history. That very clearly remains one of her main concerns today! She came to the Cincinnati area in 1961 when her husband, Paul, joined the faculty at the University of Cincinnati. They lived first in Hyde Park but moved to 619 Amherst Avenue in Terrace Park in 1986. She is a faithful contributing member of the Natural History Museum and has worked with them over 20 years in their Archaeology Department and has taken part in several digs. She has had several pieces published on antiques and collectibles in The Antique Trader and other publications. Esther was an indispensable research assistant to Ellis Rawnsley in writing his book A Place Called Terrace Park. As a member of the Terrace Park Woman's Club she worked on the Building Survey, which is now on the Internet (www.tpsurvey.org) and helped with several exhibitions in connection with that survey. Hoping that there might one day be a Terrace Park Historical Society, she collected a great deal of material pertaining to Terrace Park, some of which is already on the Internet and is soon to be published in book form - Terrace Park from Unsettled Lands to Incorporation 1789-1893. Esther is continually doing thoroughly documented research on topics of interest, especially concerning Terrace Park. 1959-60 Directories:
Matthew & Mary Meldon 617 Amherst

1962-66 Directories
Matthew & Mary Meldon 619 Amherst

1967-68 Direct:
Spike & Lin Bragg

1969-72 Directories:
Charles & Pam Goetz (1969 from New Jersey)

1973-76 Directories:
Richard Dick & Linda McCormick

1978-80 Directories:
Harold J. & Jetta Lou Lewis

1982 Directory:
Richard & Linda McCormick (Sold 1983)

1984 Directory:
Joe E. & Candace Smeltzer

1986 Directory:
Clare & Margaret Allen - renters from church

1988-97 Directories:
Paul & Esther Power (bought from Mariemont Church)

1998-2001 Directories:
Jack & Diane Myslik

2002-03 Direct:
(Sold 2003)

2004-05 Direct:
Charlie & Lori Shafer

2006-09 Directories:
(Sold 2010)

2011-12 Directory:
Don & Lori Gerred