615 Amherst Avenue


General Information

No: 615
Street: Amherst
Name: Lucius & Amanda Conkling House
Family: Crowley
Historic Plaque: N

Owner Info: N
Built: 1892
Sec: 23
Sub: Sibley's 4th
Lot: 5-6-7
Architect:
Cont/Build: J. B. Sibley

Description: 2 story Victorian, siding, mostly gable roof.
Original Use: Residential
Current Use: Residential

CHANGES As Built: N
Add To: Y
Sub From: N
Replace: N

Changes Details: 1969 - Jim Gradolf put on a 22' x 20' 8 2 story addition to the rear: family room and bedroom over it. 1990 side porch added. 2002 - permit for the Trollers to build a new detached garage and accessory building (H&L Construction, Jane Yancey, architect).2006 - Sawyer permit for roof, windows, gutters, siding & trim (self).2007 permit for David Sawyer to add second porch & alter interior floor plan (Susan Glaser Architects).


Owners:


Current Owner: Shawn P. Crowley
Curr Date Fr: 2012
Curr Date To:

Original Owner: Lucius W. & Amanda Conkling
Date Fr: 1892
Date To: Date To:

Owner 1: Amanda B. Conkling [261-262] L. W. Conkling [263] ????
Date Fr 1: 1921
Date To 1: 1945

Owner 2: Joe L. & Midge Chapman (see dates Story 2)
Date Fr 2: 1945
Date To 2: 1950

Owner 3: Bolton S. Drackett
Date Fr 3: 1950
Date To 3: 1955

Owner 4: Charles Baird & Audrey B. Norris
Date Fr 4: 1955
Date To 4: 1960

Owner 5: James V. & Cynthia S. Gradolf
Date Fr 5: 1960
Date To 5: 1971

Owner 6: E. Castner & Elizabeth Russel Denton
Date Fr 6: 1971
Date To 6: 1979

Owner 7: Nancy C. Harness (& Edward G.)
Date Fr 7: 1979
Date To 7: 1986

Owner 8: John F. & Linda A. Shortridge
Date Fr 8: 1986
Date To 8: 1994

Owner 9: David E. & Susan F. Troller
Date Fr 9: 1994
Date To 9: 2006

Owner 10: David & Dorothy Dee Sawyer
Date Fr 10: 2006
Date To 10: 2012

1975 Owner: E. Castner Denton. 5-6-7, Pt vac alley adj , Sib 1 (but must be 4th?)


Stories

Story 1 : One story says this was the 6th house built in Terrace Park. Perhaps that means inside what was incorporated as Terrace Park in 1893 Many of the oldest homes were outside those boundaries.
Story 2 : This house was in the Conkling family a long time. It was built by J. W. Sibley for the Conking family. It was sold to Joe and Midge Chapman after Grandma Amanda Conkling died in 1944. They sold it in 1950. Joe Chapman was Sydney Conkling Chapman's son. 1891 building date is from Mary Chapman (m James L. Chapman Jr. 618 Yale). 1892 building date is from Lillie Conkling Roberts, youngest child of Lucius Walden & Amanda Baxter Conkling. Thus I conclude it was started in 1891 and finished in 1892. (The auditor's site says 1892 or later 1894.)
Story 3 : The Conkling Family (information from the 2008 House Tour)
Story 4 : David Sawyer Renovation Details (from 2008 House Tour. This house was to have been on the House Tour but was not due to damage caused in the wake of Hurricane Ike the Sunday before)


Directories:

Exterior of the home restored 2006-07 New windows, new Hardie Plank siding, new trim, new gutters, new roof Family room remodeled 2006 New mahogany floor, new 8entrances, new fireplace Screened-in porch added 2007 Ipe flooring, grilling porch Landscaping installed 2007 Kitchen remodeled 2008 New Olde English tile flooring, changed floor plan, new stone counters Added mud room/pantry Dining room remodeled 2008 New mahogany floor, removed 2 cased openings, expanded entry, converted half bath to butlers pantry Front hall/foyer area remodeled 2008 Reconfigured to make more open, new mahogany floor, cased openings changed from 6 to 8 New half bath added 2008 Living room remodeled 2008 New mahogany floor, removed (2) 68cased openings, Added new 8 cased openings HVAC reducted Electric baseboard heating removed Heat pump added to service 2nd & 3rd floors Aluminum wiring replaced 1939 Map:
Conkling

1942 Map:
Conkling

1951/3 Map:
Bolton S. Drackett

1959-60 Directories:
Charles & Audrey Norris

1962-70 Directories:
James & Cinny Gradolf

1971-76 Directories:
E. Castner & Betsy Denton (moved from 607 Yale)

1978 Directory:
'' (Betsy moved to 404 Stanton in 1979)

1980-84 Directories:
Edward G. & Nancy Harness (moved from 407 Amherst)

1986-93 Directories:
John & Linda Shortridge (Sold 1986)

1994-95 Directory:
(Sold 1994)

1996-2003 Directories:
David & Susan Troller (moved from 110 Michigan)

2004-05 Directory:
(moved to 505 Miami)

2006-07 Directory:
(Sold 2006)

2008-012 Directories:
David & Dee Sawyer (Sold 2011 to Shawn Crowley - moved from 307 Amherst)