609 Amherst Avenue
Historic Plaque: N
Owner Info: Y
Sub: Sibley's 4th
Lot: 8, 9, 10 & 11
Description: 2 story Victorian, siding, gable roof. Railroad houses were built in the 1890s in the shape of a cross from blueprints sold by a Cincinnati architect for $25. All are in Sibley subdivisions.
Original Use: Residential
Current Use: Residential
CHANGES As Built: N
Add To: Y
Sub From: N
Changes Details: 1963/5 - MacMillans remodeled indoors upstairs (see pictures in TPHS file). 1977/8 - Normiles applied for 22' x 10' addition to rear. Added room over screened porch at rear and back section of 1st floor with shed-style roof.
Current Owner: Patricia P. Normile (& Raymond)
Curr Date Fr: 1972
Curr Date To:
Original Owner: Robert G. Langsdale? (see deeds)
Date Fr: 1892
Date To: 1897
Owner 1: Several others & George S. Hawke
Owner 2: Adolph & Katherine Keefer
Date To 2: 1940
Owner 3: Robert McGrew Critchell
Date Fr 3: 1940
Date To 3: 1949
Owner 4: Edgar H. & Grace B. Lotspeich
Date Fr 4: 1949
Date To 4: 1957
Owner 5: Dr. Bruce & Jeanette C. MacMillan
Date Fr 5: 1957
Date To 5: 1972
1975 Owner: Raymond P. & Patricia Normile. 8-9-10-11 Sib 4
Story 1 : Dr. Bruce MacMillan was chief of surgery at the Shriners Burns Institute.
Story 2 : 1957 information in the Terrace Park Historical Society file as to various owners and transfers of property before the MacMillans.
Story 3 : Information on the building date of this house from Patti Normile: When they were adding to the back of the house they found newspapers in the old walls from 1892. Thus we have concluded that the house was built in 1892 and not earlier as some thought might have been a possibility. The deeds point to this and the Auditor also says so.
Story 4 : This is where Dr. Langsdale had his medical office, used by the Village of Terrace Park for its first Village Council meetings. In earlier information his office was wrongly said to be on Elm Avenue. The medical office may explain why the house has seemingly two front doors. (See article by Carol C. Cole with 315 Terrace Place.)
Story 5 : Robert McGrew Critchell, husband of Martha and later Virginia Critchell, brother of Ferd B. Critchell Sr., died August 10, 1962. (See Critchall information in TPHS Oral History notebook.)
Story 6 : This home of Mr. & Mrs. (Patti) Ray Normile was on the 1984 December 9 Poinsettia Parade TP Garden Club House Tour. It was a Sunday, homes were open from 3-7 PM and advance tickets were $3, $3.50 on the day. Proceeds were used for village beautification. The Community House was open for Refreshments, Poinsettia Sale, Tour Tickets and Cook Books.
Story 7 : This home was on the 2002 Heritage House Tour.
Story 8 : Edgar H. Lotspeich was a son of the Mrs. Lotspeich who founded the Lotspeich School, now a part of Seven Hills Schools.
Lotspeich, E. H.
Dr. Bruce G. & Jeanette MacMillan
Ray & Patti Normile